Embouchure thoughts?

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by Castle Bravo, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    Ever since I saw you burn down the house in the Bernstein conducts West Side Story video, I have had this burning question:

What are your thoughts on embouchure - like, what embouchure "category" would you place yourself in? (maggio, callet, stevens, farkas, etc...)

Thanx! (Big fan!) :shock: :D

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I never really thought about it.
    My teachers, with the exception of my very first one, were direct descendants of Max Schlossberg's teaching, or students of Schlossberg's students. Saul Caston studied with Max Schlossberg.
    Sigmund Hering and Sam Krauss were Saul Caston students. Gil Johnson studied with both of them. Nathan Prager studied with Schlossberg.
    I'm rambling because I can't come up with an answer to that question.
    I think of myself as a Schlossberg-Caston-Krauss-Hering-Johnson-Prager player.
    Wilmer

3. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    Thanx for your thoughts! :-)

One of the reasons I asked is - on the video, there was the occasional close-up of you playing, and the chops seemed very 'forward', not the 'pull-back-your-chops-and-smile-more-the-higher-you-go' method.

There is no substitute for hours in the woodshed, but anything I can learn from the pros on efficiency I eagerly lap up. I have had good/great success with various embouchures in various areas......but none that can wrap it all up into the complete package that the masters seem to have.... :shock:

BTW watching you play on that video inspired strong feelings within me - I had to fight the one feeling that said 'sell your horns and drive a cement truck because you are never ever going to be that good in a million years', and the GO RESEARCH, STUDY, & PRACTICE feeling triumphed at the end of a large internal battle... THANX!! :D

4. davidmazon

davidmazon New Friend

Jun 7, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio (yuck!)
    bravo..cheers! My wife and I have wondered forever who this trumpet player was in the Bernstein video! I could have sworn it was Manny...but my wife thought it was you all along. I lose the bet! She is an elementary music teacher but also has her masters in trumpet performance...I had never watched the video until she told me one day" you should see the video of this trumpet player in West Side Story. Now HE has got it going on!" I watched the video and was amazed and even considered throwing my horns into the Scioto River(about 1 block away).
    As I posted in Manny's forum...you have inspired several late nights of practicing and I to this day find myself emulating you just about every time I pick up the horn lol. If only I needed glasses(stomps foot)! I try to emulate Manny too but every time I try to play the Alpine Symphony lick I seem to crack the high note a different way each time lol:).
    Bravo and cheers Mr. Wise:).

5. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Where is this video available? What is the tiltle of it?

6. Sophar

Sophar New Friend

Jan 30, 2005
    Wa
    I never really thought about it.
    My teachers, with the exception of my very first one, were direct descendants of Max Schlossberg's teaching, or students of Schlossberg's students. Saul Caston studied with Max Schlossberg.
    Sigmund Hering and Sam Krauss were Saul Caston students. Gil Johnson studied with both of them. Nathan Prager studied with Schlossberg.
    Wilmer[/quote]

Mr Wise; can you dicuss the concepts of tone production they passed down through thier teaching? :?:

7. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    it hurts!

shout out to the wiseone!
    jamed to hasrd ,what started-out as a pimple,has now become a split down the middle of the lip!
    any suggestions Oh wise-one?

8. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    Wilmer:

I've played that video to band classes innumerable times. Kids nowadays don't just watch anything, but it always holds their attention-especially when Bernstein lashes into Carreras.

You sound wonderful on it. It's a shame about Phil R. On that video he looks like a young kid. When City Opera was doing "110 in the Shade" he was 1st trumpet. There was a long, long trumpet solo and he sounded beautiful. I played with him a few times-talented, intelligent guy.

Larry Malin

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Re: it hurts!

If you can, lay off the horn for a while. Give the chops a chance to regenerate.This is a chance to check out the other guys.
    Rest!
    Wilmer