Embouchure Trouble

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MichaelMillett3, Mar 22, 2014.

1. MichaelMillett3

MichaelMillett3 New Friend

Mar 17, 2014
    Hi, I'm currently a junior in high school and I've been playing trumpet since the 5th grade. Going into high school I was switched from trumpet to French Horn so I could march Mellophone. So I have been playing French Horn for almost three years and needless to say, it completely destroyed any type of trumpet embouchure I would've developed before switching.

I would rather play Trumpet in my high school band but I am too good at French Horn to let my director switch. I do plan on taking trumpet to college, recreationally of course, but I would like get better.

My trumpet chops are pathetic. I can barely last 15 minutes and it's a bit or miss if I can play about a middle C.

I just want to know if there is anything I can do to strengthen my chops and make progress on getting better, because I seem to be just getting worse the more I practice trumpet.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Get a teacher.

Forget about French Horn ruining your face. That is BS. Playing another horn won't ruin your embouchure. They both work on the same principles. It is a mental thing.

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Mike,
    Why not stick with French Horn. it's a fine instrumrnt and you've already said you're good at it.
    Dr.Mark

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    First of all, you didn't destroy anything, you just have a French horn embouchure. Different muscles for different play demands. If you wanted to go back to trumpet, your muscle would come back. So see, not destroyed.

That depends. Are you a mouse or a man? If a mouse, stick with the French Horn... squeak, squeak. If you're a man, ditch the French brass instrument, pick up the trumpet and build yourself a real man's embouchure. So your decision. Entirely.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure it's entirely BS. For you and I, with our experience, switching back and forth would not be such a big deal. For a young person just at the beginning of their brass experience, I believe switching back and forth would be more of a challenge.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Because, I believe deep inside, Mike is a man... or my middle name isn't Michael!

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Dr.Mark sez:
    Why not stick with French Horn. it's a fine instrumrnt and you've already said you're good at it.
    ---
    Gman sez:
    Because, I believe deep inside, Mike is a man... or my middle name isn't Michael!
    ---
    Gman you're probably right. French Horn takes a discipline that most men do not possess. It takes a special person to master a French Horn. Its your call Mike. Just so you know, rumor has it that trumpet playing due to the pressure created when playing in the upper register can cause a decrease in the immune system and leave you vulnerable to Denge fever. You don't want Denge Fever now do you Mike?
    But seriously, it's your call Mike. If you wantr back in the world of trumpet check out these documents found on this site:
    Circle of Breath
    VB Ray of Power
    The Basics Sheet
    Dr.Mark

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Although I joined Band in 7th grade because I wanted to play trumpet, my band director started me out on euphonium and switched me to French horn, because I was good at it. One problem - I couldn't stand the sound of the French horn, so after a year, I informed the director (who was a trumpet guy himself, BTW), that I was going to play trumpet after all. This proclamation was not received well. After venting his anger, he said that I would start at the bottom, which was fine with me, since I was thrilled to finally be able to play the trumpet! We had a challenge system whereby if you thought you could play better than the guy ahead of you, you could challenge him to a contest. If you played better, you changed places, and it didn't take long for me to advance.

There are two points to my story, the first being that since playing French horn is, in my experience and in my opinion, more difficult to play than the trumpet, developing a French horn embouchure is possibly an aid, rather than a detriment to switching to trumpet. The second point is one about which I become more adamant as time passes, and that is that the trumpet attracts, and perhaps even requires a certain personality type, one which is self-assured, determined, passionate, assertive, and sometimes even dominant. If you possess these traits (and by your original post, I'm not sure that you do), my advice would be to switch sooner, rather than later, and keep your Philip Farkas book with you, by all means. Otherwise, stick with the French horn, knowing that you are a success at playing the most difficult horn to master, and play the trumpet recreationally, as you said. Your embouchure will develop in time, and getting help from a competent trumpet instructor will help more than you might think.

9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I also want to add that a good look at TM also shows that although as a group we are competitive, we are also among the most sociable and helpful people anywhere, very much like car guys.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The first BIG problem is not your chops, it is your hearing. The french horn gives your ears a big dose of direct sound. With the trumpet it is only reflected sound which is dependent on the room that you are playing in. To satisfy your "Horn" ears, you blow the crap out of the trumpet and the payback is obvious. You need to develop a new habit.........

If you want to play both instruments, you have to DOUBLE your practice time. Want proof that it works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0MYe-qAG4Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHs-3dBCjoA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RfkgsMENx8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myGtPMdnNME
    Hummel in E-Major!