embouchure types

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tammerman175, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Tammerman175

Tammerman175 New Friend

Oct 19, 2007
    Hey all, I just found this interesting page on the net while surfing the other day: Rune's trumpet page, EMBOUCHURE
    It breaks down the positives and negatives of each embouchure and gives you the physics behind it, hope some of you find it useful!

-Alex

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Interesting.
    I have never gotten into descriptions and this type of theory. I teach forming the lips like the letter "M" and letting the rest get accomplished with soft long tones and slurs. None of the students that I have started this way have ever had trouble with range or sound, so I'll continue to keep it simple!

If someone comes to me and has trouble with range, we work out a daily routine with buzzing, longtones and slurs (without tonguing). That only didn't work with students twice in my whole career. The one trumpet player wasn't able to get 30 minutes per day in, and the other one kept beating his face up.

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Robin,

Never in your carreer you will be able to tell your students what type of embouchure is theirs...what a tragedy ROFL I will get a PhD on embouchure typology and will steal all your students ROFL

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nick,
    of course I tell them what they have: a custom designed M-Type (works for BMW too!).

PhD = piled higher and deeper, a phrase commonly used by agricultural engineers - actually pretty suitable for embouchure safaris

5. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I think this is a rewrite or condensation of Pop's stuff-

6. Tammerman175

Tammerman175 New Friend

Oct 19, 2007
    I actually had no Idea that Pop's wrote this. I just found it on the net....