Embouchure types.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Sep 12, 2008.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Few years ago, being unaware of the pivot system, Reinhardt and Hickman studies, I noticed the my airstream was going downwards, doing a similar experiment to Morris's, but without visualizer (back then I did not even know that such a thing existed!). Somehow I got the ridiculous idea, that a horizontal airstream (neither upwards or downwards) will make my playing more efficient. I tried for some time to straight up the airstream by different means (jaw position, mouthpiece placement, different embouchures etc) but saw that this led to nowhere (everything became worst and as Morris pointed my airstream was going still downwards). My common sense let me to make the conclusion that this was a complete waste of time and effort, so I came back to my previous embouchure.

2. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    i just usually sit straight and breathe in and out with my mouth.

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    That sounds so sophisticated! ROFL It burns my brain ROFL

4. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    ehm.......

5. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2008
    Tallahassee/Bradenton, Fl
    lol Its not that simple Hitman. Everyone has a certain angle in which their embouchure is placed on the mp. And a certain angle in which the air flow comes out of their mouth. You have a certain embouchure and your either an upstream player or a downstream player. Whether if you realize it or not. You'll soon find out that trumpet playing is much more complex than you first realized. But, keep diggin' for knowledge and info. You'll be there one day. :cool:

6. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Jerry and Morris,

I typed myself wrong 35 years ago! I was a Caruso student and started messing around with the Pivot System on my own. Thought I was a lllB, but never made any real progress with it. Only recently, after all the Reinhardt geeks :) prodded me into it, I was typed by one of those geeks as a lllA. Man, what a difference. Night and day improvement.

We all try different embouchures and systems. What works for one may not work for another. I started out Farkas in school, later tried Caruso, the Reinhardt method, then Balanced Embouchure, Superchops/TCE and Maggio. Kept thinking each was the silver bullet, but they didn't work for me. Finally, back to Reinhardt to stay. No more fooling around. I just needed to be typed properly for it to work for me. The boys in the Reinhardt forum on TH pounded me about getting typed by someone who knows.

Good luck on your quest for your silver bullet.

7. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
  8. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    ok thanks for that

9. cumpozer

cumpozer New Friend

Nov 29, 2010
    South of Youngstown, OH
    Does any one have Reinhardt's Pivot Method for Trumpet? Not the Reinhardt Routines or the Encyclopedia, but the Manual. It's out of print and I can't find it anywhere.

10. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'm pretty sure that's the one I have.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011