Embouchure Upstream Vs Downstream

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MartinD, Jul 24, 2011.

1. MartinD

MartinD New Friend

May 11, 2011
    M.Bro UK
    Transfered from EC downloading

Hi all just an old newby here Ive been playing for nearly 9 months using internet resources for information
    When i first started playing I seemed to get up to high notes queit easily hitting high C occaisionally but had difficulty with the lower notes but managed to overcome this in the low range making what to me were nice sounding notes and putting some tunes together
    Recentl watched wilktone on utube describing Embouchure and realised that I am playing Upstream on the higher notes and downstream on the lower notes and in the middle i tended to play up or down depending on the last note My range is much greater when i play upstream now going from low C to high C where as i can only play the low notes using down stream but these sound much better I have only just realised this is what I am doing so practise on upstream may improve the quality

Trouble is i really need to know in which direction to go
    hope some of you out there may be able to advise

I only play for pleasure since I retired

Martin
    PS Dont have a tutor
    ‚Ä™Part 1 The Upstream Brass Embouchure‚Ĩ‏ - YouTube

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    Lucky you. Was it a nice sounding C or a bit strained? It's taken me months to be able to get back up there. I pretty much own G now unless my lips are tired. A is getting easier, B is reachable and C is doable, on a good day, downhill with the wind behind me. :D

I don't know much about streams, but I found out quite early on that I get much better results (nicer tone and easier high notes) by placing the mouthpiece slightly to the right of centre.

If you don't have a teacher, using a mirror can help a lot. But if you've never had lessons at all, you really should consider it. (I had lessons as a kid, got quite good, and then had 30 years off :-P - I'm looking for a local teacher now as I think it will pay off.)

3. MartinD

MartinD New Friend

May 11, 2011
    M.Bro UK
    Well as with most people it was a bit strained at first But it was a bit strange a freind of mine who is learning the Cornet and let me have ago just to see if i could get a note before i got a trumpet was amazed at how high i got :-o:cool:although the lower notes were more of a problem
    I put this down to recently putting a lot of work into bending notes on diatonic harmonica which strenghtens the back of the throat
    I play. well try to play fanfare for a common man by Aaron Coupland using John Chanders arrangement to practise my C
    http://laplace.compbio.ucsf.edu/~jc...ts/Fanfare for the Common Man - Trumpet 1.pdf
    I get bored easily with to much Scale practise and get into tunes which help me in certain areas (( Hmmm that will bring the wrath of the gods down on me ))):evil:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  4. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    That looks a bit too high for me at the moment with all those sustained Bs

Rowuk (Robin) recommends lots of tunes as a part of one's routine, so I doubt there'll be any wrath. When I was 11 I hated scales - in fact I failed my grade 5 the first time because I couldn't be arsed to practise them. Needless to say, I didn't make that mistake again :play:

Now I'm mature enough to understand their value, I embrace them :lol:

5. MartinD

MartinD New Friend

May 11, 2011
    M.Bro UK
    Hmm Grades what are they:dontknow:. Im doing this for fun only problem is that middle G should i press on the way ive been going by down streaming which sounds nice or upstream it the same way in which i am getting the higher notes.
    Slurring up to it i downstream it Slurring down to it i upstream
    Im confused but want to get it right so i dont have to relearn later
    I can upstream from btm C up to top C But down streaming I go from Btm C to middle C Although this sounds better:-)
    Hey give it a try :play:

6. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    Me too now. That was a long time ago in the dim and distant past when music was so serious, that when I left the choir school I was at, I quit. It became a chore. It's for fun now. :-)

I can't answer that for you Martin. The video was interesting. I'm rather hoping one of the more expert people will be able to help you with that.

7. MartinD

MartinD New Friend

May 11, 2011
    M.Bro UK
    Well tried to do a bit more analysis:-? and probably my natural embouchure is on the border between up and down edging toward up:dontknow:

Changing between up and down while playing is not a problem at the moment but may become one as my expectations and skill increase :roll:ROFL

I was queit happily playing before i even heard of upstreaming and downstreamingROFL

So in practice will slur down to encourage myself to upstream but avoid consicously trying to upstream and see what happens

I woulld welcome any opinons on this as i find it a little worrying and has put me off learning my latest target tunes

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no way to tell on the internet. Anything that anybody might tell you is pure guesswork.

This is for sure a local issue. High and low are not just chop position. The breathing, body use and tongue all play a very big factor. Seeing as how this is a puzzle where all the pieces have to fit, you are just going to have to bite the bullet and get some local help.

The biggest problem is that you have already developed habits that could be good or bad. It takes time to sort that out too.

Good luck.