Embouchure...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by manofjazz, Apr 25, 2006.

1. manofjazz

manofjazz New Friend

Mar 14, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    While going higher and during lips slurs. The higher the partial and higher the note... my lips curl in. is this a bad thing? or something that will inhibit my ability to go higher and sound good? If so, what would you guys recommend to do to fix this.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Don't worry about being eliminated from the trumpeter gene pool yet. Nobody knows what you mean by "high": a double c or an e in the staff? Can you tongue and control volume and that kind of stuff? If so, I think it is not an issue. Most players report rolling the lips in to a certain point, note etc. then rolling the lower lip out in the extreme register. Please note that this is an observation of what is already working as opposed to a conscious technique. Do your high notes get progressively weaker as you go up, or do you have a "cut-off" point? We need more information.

3. manofjazz

manofjazz New Friend

Mar 14, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Well...

Right now... the cut-off point is E. I can never play the high F. And I've been doing work on tongue arch and breathing deeper.

The sound does get weaker as I get higher. And most of the notes get softer as I ascend.

So, I think my problem is... That I either don't have the sufficient air supply and tongue arch to create the fast air necessary or there is something wrong with HOW I am playing them, relating to my embouchure.

4. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Fun thing to try: pull out your first slide (yup, all the way out) and switch between the 1-3 and 3 fingering and play this "Vugano scale" up as high as it can go. Check afterwards to see how high you really went. Was it higher and more relaxed than usual?

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    My .02

I strated working with a teacher about 5 months ago.

Her name is Alex she posts on the board here.

I'd reccomend that you do as she had me do and start working on the James Thompson Buzzing methods using the BERP. If you want more info on this PM me and we'll talk.

When I started with her G above the stave was about it. I now have good command to D above high C which still is not a record but hey good for me I'll take it.

The buzzing method will take you through your breaks and if used correctly add flexability and range to your arsenol. At least it has for me.

Also just play period. The more you play the more in shape chops will become. I also use the pencil thing to build up my chops.

The idea is to clinch your teeth and hold a #2 pencil to them by the eraser using only your lips to keep it horizontal. This is tuff, I've finally worked up to 1 1/2 minutes. This will add strength to your chops for sure.

6. manofjazz

manofjazz New Friend

Mar 14, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I...

Thank you both for the incredible advice...

7. manofjazz

manofjazz New Friend

Mar 14, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I...

I only went to High C with the Vugano Scale.
    and my D was more pure.
    If I continue with that will my range keep increasing? along with the power?

I really don't have any money to get the buzzing book, which I feel bad for. But, I really don't know when I'll be able to get it.

8. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The "Vulgano Scale" is more of a satori "aha" kind of thing to show us that we can play high easily, when we aren't busy counting ledger lines and freaking out. Try to memorize the "feel" and use that as one of your benchmarks when practicing your "real" power and range exercises. Credit where credit is due; I got this exercise from Gerald Webster.

9. manofjazz

manofjazz New Friend

Mar 14, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    So, that's not a "real" exersize? Aren't exersizes meant to make playing easier? I mean, that seemed like an exersize to me... Once I got a feel for what something had actually felt like... It felt really incredible.

I think I know why you do that now...

Thank you very much for your help.

10. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Maybe that is why I'm not a good teacher: when I show students stuff and they learn it, I don't have to show it again, and I run out of ideas very quickly. Real exercises get built into our routines, as a part of our training. If the "Vulgano Scale" helps, use it until you don't have to anymore (and maybe pass it along to your students.) Forget playing the ink, play the music trapped inside it.