Embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lurch028, Oct 18, 2008.

1. lurch028

lurch028 New Friend

Jul 17, 2008
    Tennessee
    I'm midways through my sophomore year of marching band at the collegiate level and I've been noticing my embouchure is changing for the worse. I used to play almost completely centered but now it's moved over quite a bit to the left. I wouldn't care normally but it's definately affecting my play; not so much tone quality or endurance but mainly range. I've tried sliding it back over to a more centered area where it used to be but the muscles aren't built up anymore I guess and I might as well be playing on the complete side of my mouth. Any suggestions for fixing my embouchure? or should I just stay the same and hope I develop the same as I could used to play? Not really sure how long it would take or what to do, help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    well, if it ain't broke don't fix it. it's a toss up though. you have to ask yourself if it's easier to to develop your range with the off centered play or if it's easier to retrain yourself to play centered. but if it's definitely affecting your range then you might want to start working your way back to center. not a drastic change but gradual. i too play off centered to the left, however it does not affect my endurance, range, or tone.