Embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Raymo, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Raymo

Raymo Pianissimo User

Mar 6, 2008
    Rittman, Ohio
    I have just recently picked up the horn after about two years of not playing. I plan to audition and tryout ,again, for the band in the marines. After about two weeks of regular practice, I noticed I have not gotten very far. I still fatigue after about ten minutes of playing. I have decided that I may need an embouchure change. I don't currently have a trainer available to help me out. Any advice on what i can do to better my embouchure. I also am struggling with getting good air speed. Im pretty sure that embouchure and air speed go hand in hand. I have about six months to prepare for an audition.

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I wouldn't draw any conclusion about embouchure after only 2 weeks of practice but there is plenty of better qualified, experienced players and teachers on this site who can tell you more. My advice would be to get a good teacher first.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  3. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    If you are getting a good sound in the register you are comfortable with, then there's no need to change embouchures. Remember, there are plenty of muscles around your lip area, and the embouchure that you play with encourages certain areas muscle to develop more than others, but the point is that there is no shortage of muscles around your lip. Unless you are doing something fundamentally wrong like leaving an entire lip outside the mouthpiece, you're in the right direction. Stick with it for a while and your endurance will improve- after all, you'll have to make up for two years of rest.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    find a teacher

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I can take a look at you and tell very quickly if you do need and embochure change. the vast majority of stundents I work with just need solid development of their chops. No tricks, no secret methods. The first ones free.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

At the risk of sounding simple, you need to keep practicing. 2 weeks is not enough time to develop any endurance off a 2 year hiatus. If you sounded good before, don't change your embouchure. Take Bob up on his advice on a freebie. I recommend Trumpet Warm-Ups by Walter Moeck, Cat. # 080-0131-24 and it's only 3 bucks. If you are tired after 10 minutes you aren't giving your lips enough rest between exercises.Also, carry your mouthpiece with you and play it at stop lights, traffic jams, lunch break, etc. (this will truly make you a trumpet geek, but a good one!). If you are simply too embarrassed to do that, then try free buzzing (your exercises) when you can't play your horn. Personally, I keep a pocket trumpet in my truck for really heavy traffic and long stop lights. It's always fun to see people trying to figure out where's the trumpet? Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

If you can get a b.e.r.p for your mouthpiece it will help with resistance and it will only add to the geek factor!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  7. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    From your statement that you wanted to join the Marine band I assume your in the Military?
    If so you might want to check into being assigned to the music program that is offered.You might have to extend your enlistment but It is a fine program.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Not an accurate assumption to make IMO. The Marine Corps has a number of bands other than The United States Marine Corps Band (aka The President's Own) and the process to get into one of those, unless something has changed, is to first pass a screening audition, go to boot camp (and infantry school if you are a Marine) and then go through the basic course at the Armed Forces School of Music on the Naval Amphibious base at Littlecreek, Norfolk, Virginia. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt - for the Army side of it anyway.

Back to the original question, I wouldn't look at an embouchure change just yet - keep doing the basics on what you have for a bit and try not to push yourself too hard. Two weeks isn't enough time to get it back after a long layoff. It took me almost 6 months to get things fully going again when I stopped playing for about 18 months once - I was able to play and gig, but my bad days were a lot worse that my good days, and it took a bit for the consistency to come back although it only took about 6 weeks to get my endurance back fully.

9. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    I was offered the School with a 4 year sign up if i enlisted which was longer than the 2 year sign up at the time,this was of course back in 73,im a old fart:-P
    This was for the Navy by the way.
    I do think that the Military offers some great programs still today.

10. Raymo

Raymo Pianissimo User

Mar 6, 2008
    Rittman, Ohio
    I am already in the military. I originally wanted to join a Marine band then, but i got screwed over by my auditioner. He said I was good enough to get in, but for some reason he wouldn't let me in. I ended up switching jobs. I am determined now to get in the band. I also had a problem before with applying too much pressure on middle C and up.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010