Embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Raymo, Sep 5, 2010.

1. jim trpt1

jim trpt1 Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2010
    greensboro nc
    I am on the comeback trail after after 10 yrs pretty much of No playing. The guys on here gave me this advice...be patient, it will come. I still struggle with endurance and range, but it is coming, no teacher or a quick fix, just keep playing. It will come.

2. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I can not offer any technical expertise as I am still on the comeback trail myself. But, I can offer up some experience to say what is going on is VERY normal. When I first came back to trumpet playing I would pick up the horn and do simple scales for 2 minutes at a time just to get a good sound out of it. That two minutes turned into 5 minutes and so on. I can remember just a year ago (I mark Labour Day as my anniversary) that I would say I am going to practice and get only 10 to 15 minutes before my lip got to puffy to play. Just keep going extending your playing time a little each day and backing of a little when you overdo it. It took 6 to 8 months (I think) to work up to a 30 to 45 minute session. In the mean time you will probably ask youself questions like "am I using too much pressure". That is a good thing to keep in mind. I have also found early on a long the way that a couple of easy 5 minute sessions interspersed throughout the day can facilitate the development of endurance on the comeback. It does take committement and persistence but it definately will happen for you - promise.

DK

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

Respectfully, I think you're fighting a losing battle here. They said you weren't good enough 2 years ago, and you haven't touched the horn since then. There's another audition in 6 months that you want to prepare for and and you expect to change your embouchure and be better than you were before?

After a 2 year layoff I think you'd be lucky to get back to your previous levelin 6 months.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The only way that you can meet this goal is with a proper LOCAL teacher. It is not your embouchure or airspeed, it is the synergy of everything your body does while playing.

You missed it the first time, not because you were messed over, you missed it because you were not good enough. The band mission requires skills other than range and good sound. Your sight reading is a very big part, flexibility in style in addition to the standard playing skills. The Watkins-Farnum tests used for testing playing really do point out weaknesses. Your playing needs to be well rounded to get through.

Find a local teacher and get REGULAR lessons or forget 6 months.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Rowuk's assessment seems pretty much on the money from where I sit. But, something the naysayers need to take into account is the tenacity and drive of a Marine - if he puts his mind toward it and takes a Marine mentality about his approach to it, he'll find ways to overcome whatever obstacles are in the way.

I wish you the best with it - get a teacher though. Do a bit of research and find someone good, and then get to work. I don't know if you have it within you to get back to where you need to be and to learn the things you need to learn to crossover and OJT with a band, but stranger things have happened and it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The true marine does not learn survival on the street. They have a VERY professional, disciplined and formal training that hones body and mind. The DIYselfers do not have the same opportunities. They have to wait until whatever they are trying works, or doesn't - to figure out the next step. My assessment: no chance without professional, disciplined help.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Oh I wasn't disagreeing with you - simply saying that he's a Marine, and because of that, if he puts his mind to it, he'll figure out a way to get past some of the obstacles that might be before him. If that means getting a good teacher, that's what he'll do.

8. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    So from reading the above you need to audition to be accepted into the music program?
    My only other experience with that program came from another trumpet player who joined the Marines and was accepted into the program and was promptly assigned as a embassy guard just in time for the fireworks during TET.
    I guess times do change,sorry if I gave out wrong info.