Embrasure development?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Invisible-Bob, Jun 11, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    How quickly one develops is simply a matter of exposure to people that CAN do what you want. Just like a baby learns to walk through observation and emulation, much of trumpet playing happens the same way. Find someone local already doing what you want to, watch and copy and you will learn faster than through any other method.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    holy batman - Robin -- this gmonady can do that on a flugel -- :dontknow:

I still want a second opinion on the flugel range -- I am going to have to contact flugelgirl ..:-o

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES - I consulted with trumpetMD and got a clarification on your answer -- where I was using "LUNG CAPACITY" and "LUNG EFFICIENCY" as the same definition -- so that was my mistake.
    YES - I am not a doctor -- and a novice at medical research -- and was merely pointing out that a rudimentary 10 minute search revealed several "reasonable resources" that playing a wind instrument might be beneficial to respiratory health and lung efficiency.
    The search was by no means exhaustive nor was it intended to be -- and I clearly indicated such.
    that being said --"just because you or trumpetMD, or whoever is a doctor" -- or "bill, fred, and/or louise" is a policeman/woman --- doesn't necessarily indicate that they should be "fully" trusted.
    human beings - by are very nature are NOT perfect.
    SO YES -- when you or someone says something --- I will often try to verify the context and content of what you say.
    again -- a novice 10 minute search revealed that there was a conflicting opinion out there -- with some credible sources --- and NO it was not an exhaustive search!!!!!!!!!!!!:-P

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Your point is well taken KT, and I know you took this feedback in with the good nature that you truly emulate in your posts. In keeping in context with this post, in searching the internet for embrousure development, you will find a lot of miss-information out there on the internet. It is fine to note that and bring it hear to this forum, as you will have a most gifted expert available to sift through the BS and call a spade a spade, and man, do I have the highest respect for that individual... rowuk. I cannot thank him enough for the intellect, clarity and the ability to cut to the truth.

As for my experience in teaching 1st year medical students, I absolutely forbid them to search medical information on the internet, as they are too wet behind the ears, and do not have a rowuk in real time that can set ALL OF THEM straight quickly before they go off tangent on some time waisting information hunt. Oh, yes, I could go off rowuk's lead and try to guide them quickly to the truth, but I would rather herd cats, than try to keep 108 first year medical students on task. There just isn't that much time in the day!

So KT, be careful on what you search for on the internet, and please do trust the feedback you get from me, TrumpetMD and rowuk related to the physiology or physics of trumpet playing, I think our training and preparation lets us do this work for you, without you waisting your valuable time sifting the doo doo from the voo doo, trying to find the true do.

Your posts have helped me in so many ways, and I hope in some why, I have earned your trust so that I can offer my expertise to provide pay-back for all your efforts.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    K & G, ya'll are outta control!!ROFLROFL

To the original question, My 2 cents. Play your mouthpiece by itself and work on making notes without the horn attached. You can also do simple lip buzzing without the mouthpiece. Both exercises are good because of low pressure. Leadpipe buzzing is also a good option. It should not take you months to learn and play a simple one octave C scale. IF you don't have a teacher but can afford one, get on their schedule. If you can't afford one, tune in here!:D

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I am glad that in my almost 950 posts that you (and hopefully others) were able to find a morsel of useful information to help your trumpet playing and life in general.
    .... I realize that a lot of info on the net is BS -- and other than "nursezone", and "CBS" -- most of my sources here and in a few other posts are from accredited journals (physics, medical, etc). So most of my medical references whether you agree or not are from JAMA or some other reliable source, and usually NOT your typical -'"med forum", or Johnnys home time homeopathic cure alls. The net is used -- just because it's easier than going to the library at night. Actually the best library around is Cornell University (30 miles away)-- where I used to do a fair amount of researching periodicals and other sources, and such for my job as a research tech in the Agriculture Eng department -- oh another thread someday on that, and yes I am nearly 2 decades away from being there --
    YES - I like rowuk's posts -- but I still don't believe everyone does better with a teacher (they can learn and grow, maybe be accountable to a teacher - some may do better - and some wont') OK that is my opinion that I clearly put forth in other threads -- and I don't actually believe that "faster" air is an impossible scenario (I think the quote was --"a bunch of bunk" -- as rowuk put forth on several other threads --AND IF I MISQUOTED -- that is OK -- I am paraphrasing stuff tonight anyhow.

I think your first year med students should be allowed to search -- but only by author. and in my opinion the only assignment you should give them is to search for everything written by the following.

Onady, GM

BUT that is just me --saying:dontknow::dontknow:

AND TO GET BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER AND DEVELOPING YOUR EMBOUCHURE -- WHILE YOU ARE DOING THIS -- THE NEXT BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR INCREASING YOUR PERFORMANCE IS TO DO EXERCISE. YES AT THE MINIMUM 30 MINUTES 3 TIMES A WEEK (THAT IS 30 MINUTES OF ELEVATED HEART RATE FOR 3 TIMES A WEEK - MINIMUM).

Doctor GM -- I think you and TrumpetMD, and rowuk would agree that my advice on that issue of improving lung function to be very sound and true.:thumbsup:

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am careful about developing lung anything. The problem is that big SPORTS breaths are usually associated with dramatic Abs activity and that is poison for my type of teaching. We need to build RELAXED big breaths and I only preach in that context. Habits are developed with hundreds to thousands of repetitions. Breathing is no exception.

It is a matter of principles. A bit of truth can be found in almost any statement. Trace amounts of truth do not make for successful trumpeting