Embrochure Change and Laurie Frink Lesson

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smcquaid, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Smcquaid

Smcquaid Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2010
    So after finishing up my last real big gig, I finally spoke to my teacher about changing my embrochure. My endurance hasn't been as great as it used to be, my range isn't as strong as it should (even though I have a a double c that isn't especially fat).

I have a lesson with Ms Laurie Frink next week and I was wondering if anyone here had any experiences with her they could talk about?

In addition, my range has obviously suffered a lot, I can only hit around a g above the staff tonguing and I can get a high d if I slur. Is this normal to lose this much range and typically, how long does it take to get back?

I really feel this change will help my playing overall but I am very nervous about it at the same time. I could use some experiences from other people with this stuff to help me understand the benefits and such.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If you have changed your embouchure of late then yes it will take time to get your range back. This is especially dependent on the amount of embouchure change you are going through. Practice and time are the only things that will get you back to where you were, but when you get there you should be happier with your sound and overall approach to the horn.

3. Smcquaid

Smcquaid Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2010
    I used to play with a majority of my lower lip in the cup and playing on the red of my top lip. I have been doing caruso studies my teacher did when he was back in high school and keeping up with some technical studies as well to keep myself going. Problem being, I am going to chicago in a month to study with ron carter at a jazz camp and I don't want this completely ruining the experience. Thank you for your words of encouragement

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why people don't fix the real problems that they have and think that embouchure is a silver bullet, I will never know.

First of all a double C is an octave HIGHER than what you can play.
    Range and endurance are not caused by proportion of upper and lower lip. They are enabled by solid practice habits over time.

Whe our range stops at a specific note, it is because we generally use too much pressure and are squeezing the chops off. That happens because our breathing generally stinks. In addition when our breathing stinks and pressure is too high, the face muscles are not working as they should - the problems of consistency and accuracy increase.

You have much more basic issues. Until they are solved, your face is not really an issue at all.

5. tomba51

tomba51 New Friend

Jan 5, 2004
    Laurie Frink is a wonderful teacher and she will certainly help you. There is a reason that people from all over the world (some of them very well known players) come to NY to see her. Practice exactly what she gives you and you will make real progress. If your finances allow it, try to get back to her regularly. I used to go more or less monthly. After you've had your lesson, please let us know how it went.

Tell her that Tommy B. says hello.

Tom

6. Smcquaid

Smcquaid Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2010
    Rowuk- I have read your other posts that are very similar to this........I do have a double C on a good day, but I just feel it doesn't have as much power as it should. My teacher and I cover basics all the time and that is currently not the problem, it is my faulty embrochure. I am NOT saying it will cure everything, but it might give me a shot at making playing a bit easier. I have bad endurance problems now due to it and I would like to correct it, please at least try and understand that I just want to improve my playing overall.

Tommy B- Thank you, that really reassures me, I will be doing roughly 3 lessons with her in total because she is so expensive but it sounds like she will be worth it! (140 bucks an hour is no joke!) My lesson is tomorrow, so I will post my after thoughts once I get home.

7. Smcquaid

Smcquaid Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2010
    I had my lesson with Ms Frink last week and was blown away by her! She is just a great teacher and really knows what she is doing. It went very well, she gave me some exercises to do and thought my embrochure change would be a great change for comfort and better power. By the end of the lesson, I had a high C back and I was very happy. I will have at least one more lesson with her before I go to college just to make sure I am making decent progress. I HIGHLY recommend her!

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The word is EMBOUCHURE. Not Embrochure or some other cockamamie spelling.
    People on this website (and others) need learn to spell this word correctly.
    Rich T.
    In the way to becoming a curmudgeon.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nobody ever misspells "double C" even if they don't know what it is.

I thought that Embrochure was a product sheet on EMs - one of the basic building blocks to my teaching embouchure.

10. Smcquaid

Smcquaid Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2010
    im done, thanks for turning me off this forum.