Embrouchure seal problems.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JRodri, Aug 2, 2011.

1. JRodri

JRodri New Friend

Jun 26, 2011
    Well, today I was supposed to have a great practice but, my lips don't have the same tight seal as they did yesterday! I'm not using pressure, and I am doing free buzzing, and the pencil excercise!
    I don't whether it's because I'm having a bad day, or I don't really know!
    It's like yesterday was the best practice and today I barely can hit my high registers!
    Could it be because of the stress I have from an upcoming event?
    I noticed that sometimes when I do try to hit higher notes, I lose my lip seal and sometimes I can hear the buzzing sound from the side of my lips.
    :shock:
    I just changed mouthpieces, could that be it? I went from a 7c to a pretty much to a 7 with a deeper cup, Idk the equivalent or what size it would be.
    I've never had this problem before, the mouthpiece I switched to has the same cup rim, cup size (In diameter), the only difference is the cup depth.
    I have been playing for about 2 weeks now with my new mouthpiece and I really don't think its because of the mouthpiece because those 2 weeks were some of the best weeks of my playing abilities of my life.
    (If that makes any sense).
    Anyone know any exercises to build a better seal for your embrouchures.
    I tried everything from whole tones, to my normal daily routine!
    I just cannot get my high register today.
    Anyone else had this problem?
    Maybe I'm having a bad day, I don't really know.

2. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    A lot of variables. The most important thing that every one on here will kindly preach at you is consistency. Good consistency which relies on being efficient in our play. Breath, placement, piece, thoughts. It's the hardest thing to wrestle with. I am watching a videos set by james morrison, and he talks about air a lot. It's the most important thing. You have to know how to be comfortable in the air, then from there move on to feel the feelings that you feel everytime you play a note, everytime you pre hear a note. Yeah.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree that there are lots of variables.

Did you push yourself too much yesterday? Maybe all you need a day off, or a day where you just do some light playing. If this is the case, hopefully you'll play better tomorrow.

As you suggested, you just changed mouthpieces. This may be the issue. I realize that you feel things have been going well with the new mouthpiece. But sometimes, there is a "honeymoon period" with new mouthpieces.

Also FWIW, the Bach 7 is a pretty deep mouthpiece. IMHO, I'd call the Bach 7 a specialized mouthpiece that might not be appropiate for general playing for most people.

4. JRodri

JRodri New Friend

Jun 26, 2011
    My correction, to my first statement! The mouthpiece I have is a 3c equivalent. The change wasn't so bad! or atleast it didn't seem like it!
    Endurance was lost, but tonal quality was gained. Today I played a tad better than yesterday, and I found out why. I wasn't in the mood. Today I played much better, not as good as the day before the incident, but much better. I really don't think it's the mouthpiece though, I mean it's been 2 decent weeks.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Before we go deeper into analysis, give the current piece about a weeks time, and if it is an adjustment to a new piece, improvement should be noted up until 6 weeks.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If your playing changes that noticeably, you are simply not practicing enough.

I will not ask why you have changed mouthpieces, what your goals for this piece are and why you do this during summer vacation instead of under the watchful eye of your trumpet instructor.............

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I will repeat the lots of variables... and as Robin pointed out if you have that big a change you aren't practicing enough.... supported by the good day and then bad next day..( as in you took the weekend off and first day back was great)
    Check your mouthpiece placement in the mirror ( the ring left on your lip) .. that can really effect you range ...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    +1 --- recently I have had similiar problems -- not with sealing the lips -- but with tone and everything else.
    THE summer has caused me lots of problems -- sunburned lips for a week or so,some fluid retention from the heat and humidity (allergies to pollen?) --then cold sores the following week. Now after 3-4 weeks of so so practice ---- I seem to have "chapped lips" from dehydration or what - sunburn recovery, etc.?? ((I use lip balm all the time))
    The point is -- there are multitudes of little things that happen in life -- all of which can add up to multiple problems in the lips.

these past 3-4 weeks have been my worst weeks since my comeback almost 32 months ago ---- OK except for the first 3 months where everything sucked when I practiced.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

patience -- perserverance -- practice intelligently --- don't get frustrated ---??????

guess I nor anyone else here on TM can teach you that:shock:

I am saying take the time to diagnose the problem before jumping to too many different conclusions.:thumbsup:

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Other factors like hydration (did you drink lots of water today, and less yesterday?) diet (salty foods will impact your level of hydration) and the environment (heat, humidity) can have short-term effects on your embouchure.

Mood can make a huge difference. If you pick up the horn and become quickly dissatisfied with what happens, put it back in the case, go do something else, and then try again later. Forcing yourself can sometimes be very unproductive.