Emergency repair and maintenance kit

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by GijsVis, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Wouldn't ever leave the house without my tubing repair kit

[​IMG]

2. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Here's a link to the Ferree's catalog. Check out catalog pages 59 and 193. Use it as a guide to determine what you may need, want, or use in your kit.

http://www.ferreestools.com/Ferrees Catalog.pdf

Proceed carefully. There's lots of good advice in this thread.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Chewing gum can replace lost corks.

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    A used trumpet I bought contained the previous owner's kit: earplugs, mouthpiece shank truing tool, very small flat file, very small pliers, very small adjustable wrench, two sizes of micro screwdrivers, two sizes of hex wrenches, what appears to be a spring tool, and a small container of spare parts. The whole thing was in a zippered pouch about 4" X 7".

5. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012

First of all, thanks for your advice, I don't mind getting not only positive advice, rather I've always learned "negative" advice can be more usefull than positive advice. By all means, I'll not at all be trying professional or difficult repairs anytime soon, for that I really want to learn about it first, which is why, in my previous post I've asked if somebody perhaps would like to use an eager-learning apprentice for one or two weeks anytime this schoolyear, because I have to do international work anyway this year, so why not do it in the subject I like most? I don't mind not being payed, nor will I work less well because of that, which applies both to my international work and the maintenance I do at home.

Perhaps naming this thread 'emergency repair' was wrong, by no means I want to take work away from the local techs here or do I want to be or sound like being the 'trumpet-surgeon'. I just really like working with trumpets and musical instruments, which is why I like doing maintenance and little jobs like replacing corks and such. The torch I was talking about was a pencil torch, which is just about the smallest torch I know, just a size bigger then a cigarette lighter, which I won't use for any mayor repairs, just for things like heating water-keys for glue and such. I don't mean to do any mayor jobs at all.

The mouthpiece puller will rather be properly manufactured than homemade, since the man who will be doing the main work is a honest genius with machines and making instruments. It will just be a friday afternoon project, one which will be just in our spare time, so it won't cost a thing. It will also be another chance to learn more things about making instruments.

I'ld love to apprentice in a repair shop and learn how to properly do repairs and I will soon go to my local tech shop to let them finish and check my project horn and to ask if they need an apprentice, only the problem with school is that I also need to do international work, as part of my internationalization file.

I'm not offended by this post, rather I'm kind of happy about it, because it's made me realize that I presented my cause wrongly (I'm no native English speak, that might be the cause) and will change it in a second. My purpose was to have a kit to be able to maintain instrument for minor things and to be able to clean out or put things like felts and corks back on again during shows or long repetitions. I don't mean to have a huge kit, just some things and I probably won't use the whole list in my OP either, but it's better than to have too much options than too little, right? :)

Again thanks, and I'll definitely ask to apprentice my tech.
    Adrian

I know about the Leathermen, always have one hanging on my belt at work and just reminded I have one laying at home, which I'll definitely put in it, since they are convenient little things.

Can you maybe post or send a picture of it? I'm curious how it all looks

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Have you considered enrolling on an instrument making course? There's still a few around and it's probably the only way of picking up the full range of skills and knowledge you seem interested in developing in a reasonable time-frame.

Brass instrument making - Instrument Making School Mittenwald for just one example.

Plus you end up with that all important bit of wavy-edged paper at the end of it!

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Your watching the mouth, you poor soul

Gijs, wow what a mature attitude from a young man we could do with more of that.

A

8. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Sorry, it's been broken up. The container of small parts (similar to but smaller than a 35mm film container) went to my granddaughter with the horn. The rest of the pieces were just tossed into the zippered bag, not organized in any way. IIRC, the small parts were a few screws, valve felts, a C-clip or two for Amado water keys, and odds and ends that had apparently been replaced on the horn.

9. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    The "Mouthpiece Truing Tool" (I googled it) looks unnecessary. Use the outside of the jaws of the pliers on your Leatherman. (Assuming it's a model with a rounded outside, like the Wave.)

10. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Adrian,

Great response. I understand what you meant now. Very respectable. Check out this web page Home Page. They hold clinics around the country (usa) 4 or 5 times a year if you happen to be here doing your international studies, it might be worth while for you to check out. They normally only invite active members to clinics, but if you explained your situation I wouldn't be surprised if they made an exception. There are also a few repair schools (I went to one in Renton Washington) that probably wouldn't mind an international visitor for a couple days either. Just call early and say you are interested in checking out the school.

GijsVis likes this.