Emergency repair and maintenance kit

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by GijsVis, Aug 21, 2013.

1. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I have a leatherman model with a rounded outside, though it's not perfectly rounded nor tapered according to a mouthpiece truing tool. You can do it with a Leatherman, though I wouldn't recommend it, since it's not quite made for it. I'll be making one on a lathe soon.

2. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
  3. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Wow, thanks, I'll be back in school in the beginning of September, which is when I can ask about the details and specifications for the programme, but as soon as I have them, I'll contact some schools to ask. Do you parhaps have some contact data or know somebody who I can contact at the repair school you went, or perhaps know some other repair schools I might try?

I've been going through the NAPBIRT site and if I understand it correctly it's like a one day clinic, right? In that case it might be worth to try to combine the two, if something would be in the neighbourhood.

4. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    If you were planning to be helpful to the woodies as well, a cigarette lighter and some matchhead-sized bits of hot glue would be useful. Pads/corks popping off are a common occurrence. Girl got her clarinet knocked over one day, I used my hands to bend back the (nickel-silver) key that got out of whack. She took it in for professional repair, and was told "there's nothing wrong". She was surprised, maybe I was a bit too. Don't try for too much, I'd think a Leatherman and a couple of small screwdrivers would be about all you could reasonably use in the field.

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    If you're planning on working on woodies, there are a few other tools and parts that can come in handy. Duckbill pliers (smooth jaws, for key bending), spring tools (simple hooks or fancier tools, you'll need to push some, pull some), goldbeaters' skin (for leaking double reeds), size D and possibly some heavier nylon thread (again for the double reeds), fish skin (pads), and a basic pad assortment for the primary instrument you expect to have to maintain. Stick shellac is a traditional pad cement, melted with a match or lighter. A turkey tail feather or so can help dry out the bore of woodies. A pack of cigarette papers can come in handy when dealing with soggy pads. Some spare reeds as well as reed-making or reed-adjusting equipment (definitely a knife, perhaps a plaque, perhaps a bit of Dutch rush) can also save the day. A bit of small-gauge copper wire can also help with some reed problems in an emergency.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    An emergency repair of the sectional corks for reed instruments is a wrapp of waxed dental floss. This is just an emergency repair to get by until the cork can be properly replaced. I've got to put on my magnifiers to work on the mechanisms and it doesn't surprise me to find the control wires seized up in the cover tubes by rust or a dent in the tube, rather than fight such, I just go ahead and replace both tube and wire. I just can't reset a broken out post as well as my tech or repair a crack like he can. Between us, I've flipped as many reeds instruments as I have brass. Don't find fish skin pads on any I've worked on. Yeah, my daughter plays reeds, and now my granddaughter is just beginning on flute (with Bb foot).

7. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Thanks all, this might be helpfull, I'll so some more research on the net (woodwindmaster.com? :lol: ) and then try to fit it in the box. Which is by the way coming along nicely, I'll probably finish it sometime this week.

Oh, and what's Dutch rush? Never heard of it (as a Dutchman)

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Here are some suggestions:

Two types of oil - petroleum based, and synthetic oils because they don't mix, and you don't know what's previously been used on the instrument prior to the emergency ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A simple cleaning kit - this one from Ultra Pure - this one came with Ultra Pure Oil and Slide Greases included ....

[​IMG]

A pair of Duck Billed Pliers - they have flat jaws with no grip surface - this will reduce any tool damage ..

[​IMG]

I prefer a simple Swiss Army Knife together with the Pliers rather than the Leatherman ....

[​IMG]

but a Leatherman if you like - I find these too much of compromise to be a "proper" tool that feels good in the hand ....

[​IMG]

A Mouthpiece Puller ...

[​IMG]

A Mouthpiece alignment tool ...

[​IMG]

Spare Water Key Corks ....

[​IMG]

and I've found carrying a spare Stand Light is often useful for mates with either old eyes or low light on stage ...

[​IMG]

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Please don't work on woodwinds if you have no experience playing them or training fixing them. You will do more harm than good.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Mouthpieces can be trued using a french horn mouthpiece.