Encourage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Apr 7, 2015.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi one thing I remember when first starting out as a trumpet player when I started playing which was late teens 18 for that matter
    Was so much lack of encouraegment from friends and family ok maybe I sucked when I started but boy I think the only one that pushed me was my teacher but that was about it. Anyone else experience this?

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Oh yes.
    I was always run out of the house.
    Amazing that I persevered at all.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are some kids that have something to prove and thrive on being told don't/can't and others that cave when they see a fly frown.... It is tough when you are the object of criticism to read through the messages for their true intention - demotivation, constructive criticism, not now, somewhere else. In the case of peers there can even be a jealousy or pressure to not exceed. Fortunately, for most trumpeters, there is enough ego to get through those times.

As I have posted before, it isn't just natural talent that gets us through. Becoming a great trumpeter also needs a bit of luck to get those special people in our lives that set us on fire. I also had a high school music teacher that was decisive in my playing career. He had the right combination of sugar and stick.

4. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I often wonder if I would still be playing trumpet if one of those little things had gone wrong growing up.
    My family encouraged me, but in their heads, they must have been irritated much of the time. I probably
    developed some bad habits trying to play somewhat quietly in my small room, but that's how it goes. Let's
    be honest: the trumpet is not a forgiving instrument, and it is maybe the absolute worst sounding instrument
    for beginners. A good chunk of the population does not even like the true sound of the trumpet when played by
    a professional, so that doesn't help. Honestly, trumpet playing is all I had as a consistent hobby at one point, and
    it became part of my identity so that I always felt more inclined to perservere than to quit. But early on, it can just
    be so tough and so easy to just give up when no one, even in your own family (or maybe especially in your own family)
    really wants you to practice making that noise. My neighbor once told me after I had been playing for a while that in the
    beginning I sounded like a dog crying when being put down.

We also live in a time period during which the trumpet is not valued that much. Most people don't understand how great it can be,
    because they have not heard the greats at their best. In commercial music and even orchestral music, trumpets are
    increasingly in the background. Maybe that's why your trumpet teacher was the only one pushing you while the others
    were apathetic. They were not that excited about you becoming a trumpet player. Meanwhile, there seems to be no shortage
    of encouragement, in my experience, for young piano players, guitar players, and singers.

On the flip side, it is also nice not to have people on your back about practicing all the time. It allows playing trumpet to be
    your own fun hobby rather than another chore. Many young musicians are discouraged by having to practice their boring
    scales for 30 minutes every day.

All in all, if people are not throwing you out of the house when you're trying to practice, I
    would count it as a win.

neal085 likes this.
  5. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I had a "balanced" environment - plenty of encouragement from family and teachers and a whole load of sh*t from my peers at school. I didn't learn to walk away from a fight until later in high school but what the heck I came out the other end.

What's the old saying. ...? "I suffered for my music, now it's your turn" :-)

6. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Lol I had to practice in a dark park with a flash light to see the music sheet, because my siter couldn't stand slur studies, and she plays sax.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Powerful sister.........

8. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    It's her house so... and to her defense slurs are annoying, no matter how god you are

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My parents were the biggest influence with my success in music. They bought me the instruments, paid for great teachers and spent numerous hours in a week carting me off to both organ and trumpet lessons, having to endure a loud Lesslie pumping out the bass from the organ sounds created by the Hammond, and the shrills from my horns. Couldn't have done it or gotten to where I am today without them.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I had a mix of both encouragement and discouragement. The encouragement came because my parents wanted me to be successful in my endeavors in high school with the horn, and to that end I had a couple of pretty nice instruments that they provided me with. As for practicing, that never really seemed to be much of an issue - my folks were out of the house a lot, and I was the last one to leave the nest, so the noise level was never really a problem.

The discouragement, if it can really be called that, came a bit from my Dad. I grew up in rural SW Nebraska, and I think Dad was just trying to look at the practical side of things. I made it known that I wanted to move forward past high school with music and playing the trumpet, and for my Dad - a guy who grew up on a Nebraska farm in the 1930s and 40s, and who stayed in small-town Nebraska for most of his life - playing trumpet didn't seem like a practical way to make a living. To that end, I think he was just trying to be realistic because he figured the likelihood of me being able to make a living playing trumpet was probably pretty slim.

Then I married the whole thing together with the US Army band program. The military was not only something my Dad understood, (he was in the Coast Guard in the early 1950s) but it was also something he supported, so once I became an Army Bandsman he became my biggest fan. I bet he used to bore the heck out of his buddies at the local coffee shops. "Yeah, Pat played at the White House for the President again," or something along those lines. :D