Encourage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Interesting thread :D

I haven't thought about this in years ,I started in grade school ,I have no idea how I picked the trumpet or why I ended up with that instead of some other instrument ,and after getting to high school the teasing had pretty much died out , My brother (played trombone) and we were required to practice 1 hour a day ,some times we did sometimes not, I was really lucky to have a teacher then that was strict and I respected a lot I think he had the perfect mix that it took to control 110 member marching band . And I have to say after marching in the city (Lincoln Ne.) for the first time between tall buildings ,I never wanted to look back.

The last 2 years of high school I went to a different school ,the teacher there just wanted us to play as loud as possible , no marching at all just concert stuff, by the time school had ended I had lost interest.

Through it all I think I learned pretty early that if someone thought playing the trumpet was silly I practiced harder ,just to prove them wrong , maybe not the correct motivation but ,at least twice I heard people take back those words they had said before ,which gave me great satisfaction .

If someone were to get insulting with me now I would just hand them the horn and say ,,,,,show me how :evil:

Don't ever let anyone rain on your parade ...................

Dean_0

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I won't rehash my public school instructor, tutor, and high school band director who was all the same man, but my two older brothers also had the same for their brass horns, an Eb mellophone and a baritone/tuba. Too, my Mother played a great piano and even tutored it to other children, and my Father could play the drums and fiddle, the latter good but not great. Just to think I had to listen to all the noise the others made in our house, the adage is if you can't do otherwise, join them as is what I did. It wasn't but a few years that all together we were beginning to sound pretty good. Still, what is amazing is that we didn't have any neighbors that complained. Well, I don't suppose I was the one they'd complain to if they did ... but, we continued playing. Lastly, it was just my Mother and I.

3. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thank you Dean I never thought about that hand them the horn and now you show me " thing is I used to get criticism from my neighbor next door few years younger than myself ......and all he did was listen to heavy metal rock! Anthony

4. some_blue

some_blue Pianissimo User

Jan 21, 2004
    Great Stuff, Thanks!

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    In reading the above, this is something I've never really spent much time thinking about, but now that I have, I guess I've had it pretty good.

There was always music around the house (media and record player). Matter of fact, we even ate to music (I got to chose. Sometimes the 101 Strings had to bow to Sonny Criss). I don't think my parents ever overtly encouraged me but they always saw to it that I had private lessons and a workable horn and accessories and always drove me to my lessons before I could do it alone, and always attended my concerts.

I practiced most days, after school, and I don't ever remember any neighbors complaining; remarkable since one of my routine exercises was to play a page from Arbans at FFFF.

Never had a wife or significant other unsupportive. No nagging to stop practicing.

My high school band (which I was allowed to go to outside of my community's school district) was the best in the state. It just goes on and on.
    Unfortunately, the older I get, the more I'm experiencing some fairly laissez faire attitudes (still more positive than not, though) and a couple of downright betrayals, which hurt really bad.

Overall, I would say I've had it pretty lucky.

(BTW OP - any objection to using punctuations in your posts? ;-) )

6. Ufachotchin

Ufachotchin Pianissimo User

May 19, 2014
    Youngstown, Ohio, USA
    My first two private teachers told me that I would never play the trumpet. One of them even tried to talk me into switching to French Horn (I shudder at the thought of it now). I had a hard time learning and came close to giving up a few times.

After three months or so, my cousin (a local band director/ trumpet player) took me under his wing. His encouragement motivated me to practice. His advice was easy to understand and I began making progress almost immediately.

I never realized quite how much simple encouragement and a nudge in the right direction could help. This is not to mention my family who put up with my playing and who attend all my concerts.

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Yes I had a so called professional trumpet teacher just sat there listened to me got angry looked bored basically a real a* ho*e got a better teacher on Skype no less learned a lot more than" Mister Professional I am working on Broadway in N.Y."
    Dumb a*s

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Just as an aside, you never know how something like that can impact you in the future, or if it's something one should at least explore. When I was graduating high school, my trumpet teacher asked me if I'd switch to French horn. He was also the university band director and needed someone to replace the graduating the first hornist. So I played first horn in the uni. my freshman year, but went back to trumpet later on.

Several years later the draft was breathing down my back so I tried getting into an Air force band. Worldwide, there were no trumpet vacancies but there were two vacancies for Horn and I got one of them. Saved me from sloshing around in some southeast Asian rice paddy and maybe coming home in a body bag. You just never know.

9. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Well ? then I wouldn't listen to anything he says he's so polluted musically how would he know what good sound is???? :evil::evil::D:DROFL

Keep up the practicing !!!

Dean_0