Endurance above high G

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, Sep 29, 2005.

1. WaWa

WaWa New Friend

Sep 21, 2005
    Texas
    Double_G,

Id like to say first..do not get discouraged! Thats the LAST thing that should ever happen...and it shoudnt! Hang in there and dont give up.

For building lip strength you should do lip slurs everyday near the beginning of your practice. A good book for lip slurs is the Irons book...or Vizzutti I believe..not 100% on the last one though..i forget the names :-?

But constituting lip slurs in your practice everday should make an improvement in your range..it will not happen over night though! Just practice, practice, practice.

One thing that I do too ease mouthpiece pressure is I hold the horn up in the normal position..without gripping my fingers around the valves. This makes it harder to push the horn against your face..and you wont have to worry about pushing your horn out of your hand and crushing your trumpet...Thats always a plus! :D

Maybe you should nicely hint at your section leader to take it easy..and maybe he should think of other ways to build range..such as lip slurs. One thing you do not want to do is to outright tell him he is wrong and stupid for ever thinking of building range in this way..This will just make him mad and probably make you do it even more out of spite...But just politely hint at it and you should do fine.

Hang in there,

2. WaWa

WaWa New Friend

Sep 21, 2005
    Texas
    Oh yea, I would not suggest an equipment change just to give you a quick fix for range..in the long run..it will most likely be more of a handicap than anything.

Good Luck,

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Andrew, your problem with endurance may also be blamed on that Giardinelli piece you've been using. I know that when you use your 3C, everything about your playing improves. Its just good reasoning that your problem with endurance can be helped by an equipment change.

I also know that I never want to see that piece in your possession again. :D

And about air, I want you to start REALLY focusing on dropping the back jaws when you play. The sound may be percieved as flat, but that will allow more air to rush from your body into the horn, and the horn will resonate better, and you will have an easier time playing, and will have a definitely larger, fuller sound, since the horn will be playing with you.

Van

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Wawa,

By the way, I dont want my last post to be taken as me directly refuting your last statement (It would seem that way, my post about equipment change right after yours saying NOT to). :D

The Giardinelli piece Andrew has been using is a Vee-cup. Only a very few players can REALLY play a Vee cup, and I know of several players who quit the horn because of a mouthpiece included with their beginning horn being a Vee.

Van

5. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    in my opnion you need to get your folks to visit with administration and school board about the director and question his competence to be teaching hs. even if hs players can scream they shouldnt be forced to in a show and certianly not for 10-12 minutes.

if in college probably visit with the dean of the music program, that type of playing demands on anybody calls into question whether the director has any business teaching young people at all. every single commercial arranging book i have read talks about giveing the brass players and particularly trumpets the opportunity to cool it so that the chops do not turn into hamburger.

read some of the gordon footnotes in the arbans book, i am not alone in this.

6. radtrumpet.com

radtrumpet.com New Friend

Sep 27, 2005
    philly
    Hey there,
    Above all.....don't get discouraged.......you will always run in to people who will try to push you too much....it happens from time to time.
    the best thing you could do is to play real soft......you won't kill your chops....and it will help your high range greatly..........the slurs ..if done real quietly will help also...then you will have the tools to put up with the punishment.
    hope this helps,
    Rob