Endurance and lip swelling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jnepper, Apr 16, 2009.

1. jnepper

jnepper New Friend

Apr 16, 2009
    I have been practicing/playing pianissimo for about two weeks. I have been able to last much longer. I am wondering what the next step is.

Thanks.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It has been exactly 10 days since I posted. Get too anxious and everything will fall apart. The next step is two more weeks of pianissimo!!!!!!!!!!!! :-P

Check back in 18 days, that will be then exactly 4 weeks. Then you will get some additional stuff.

3. jnepper

jnepper New Friend

Apr 16, 2009
    While my playing has been a little more sporadic this summer, I am still working on the pianissimo playing.

I'm interesting in what's next in terms of endurance and lip swelling, etc.

John

4. Skiingfool

Skiingfool New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    Sounds like you are pushing yourself too hard. You need to take one day off, and on that day take advil, ice your lip, and drink lots of water. When you play the next day, response won't be as good, but don't worry. Be patient. Play low and slow. Do stamp exercises and slurs, but GO SLOWLY! Stop before your lip gets tired. Over the next few weeks you can increase your practice time, but you never want to practice to the point that your lips hurt.

Lastly, don't use no pressure. That's probably why you are losing endurance, you aren't working your muscles. Good luck and be patient.