Endurance, Breath control, posture, and High Register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by felix c, Jan 13, 2005.

1. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    Dear Mr. Lauraeano
    Firts let me tell that it a great pleasure to talk with you. Im a 35 Year amateur player of Puerto Rico. A this time after 2 year come back Im taking classes to play in any local orchestra. I have to admit that theres almost nothing of opportunities because the fewer local popular music orchestras want firts trumpets only, I can be a good second or third one. In my case Im getting a good sound and projection. Correcting the playing posture while seated and best breathing, the problem its the endurance. I can not hit notes above high C because I feel tired with lack of power. I have change of like 5 time of mouthpiece, and 3 times the horn. My last combination its a Bach 6 cornet mouhtpice with adapter and a UMI Benge horn. Next week Im waiting for a Kanstul Chicago MLP. My teacher recomends practice Vacchiano Flexibility studies. Im using a Bill Adams routine that covers Clarke, Schollosberg, and his conceptswith good results. My parctice time its like 1 half our dailybecause my principal job. I have note that a lot of water come aout of the bell. The final fact. Can you advise me what to practice or read and with all of my efforts doing all my best to reach more secure my register and improve up to High E. For me this register its enought. Also Are you latin? Did you spaek Spanish, and have web Page?
    Very Thanksfull
    Respectfully :dontknow:
    Felix Caro

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "the problem its the endurance. I can not hit notes above high C because I feel tired with lack of power. I have change of like 5 time of mouthpiece, and 3 times the horn. My last combination its a Bach 6 cornet mouhtpice with adapter and a UMI Benge horn. Next week Im waiting for a Kanstul Chicago MLP. My teacher recomends practice Vacchiano Flexibility studies. Im using a Bill Adams routine that covers Clarke, Schollosberg, and his conceptswith good results. My parctice time its like 1 half our dailybecause my principal job. I have note that a lot of water come aout of the bell. The final fact. Can you advise me what to practice or read and with all of my efforts doing all my best to reach more secure my register and improve up to High E. For me this register its enought."

Querido Felix,

Thanks for writing to me for advice. I'm going to answer you in english because many people who read the forum only speak and read english, so, forgive me.

The important thing you said was that you have a good sound but you don't have the high notes or the endurance you would like. It's important to get a lot of time playing to develop endurance. I know you have a job during the day but the reality is that the only way to develop endurance is by playing a lot. See what you can do to get in at least one hour every day.

The high notes are part of that but even a player who doesn't play a lot should be able to hit the high E, just not for a long time.I would avoid the cornet/ trumpet adapter business. You need a good trumpet mouthpiece that gives you room for your lips and a nice, wide rim for support if you can't put in a lot of time to practice.

Do you practice quietly? Try it and when you start to go higher make a crescendo on the high D if you can manage it. Then Eb and so on. When you practice quietly still take the big breath, that's very important.

Good luck and stay in touch. Hasta luego,

ML

3. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    Dear Manny;
    I like the Cornet 6 rim. You perfectly now the inconsistences of Bach Mouthpieces. In past I was using Giardinelli 6c (16.70 mm) and Bach 1 1/2 C (17.00 mm). I have tried Schilke 14 15 17 series , I have tried Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew, And another peices. The most confortable and Small rim I have used in 20 Years its this Bach 6. If you can advise me a new starting point I ensure you I will follow your instructions. In case you can when you have any time. My email address is:
    [email protected]
    Gracias Manny es la primera vez que comparto con un musico de tu standing.
    Thanks Manny its the first time in my life I have the opportunity to talk with a top performer like you.
    Manny Blessings For You and your Family
    Respetuosamente con toda mi Admiracion
    Felix Caro

4. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Sounds like your teacher has you on the right track. You may also want to look at studying with Elias Lopez. Elias played with El gran Combo many years ago and has played with just about everyone. He is a marvelous player and I understand he also does alot of teaching.

Good Luck!

5. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    Elias is one of my favorite players. he buy my '76 3x+ Benge. He's a very friendly person, very professional. he lives in the metropolitan are of the island. I live in the western area. So imthink that will be very hard to take class with him. here in the west. the trumpet teachers are very limited. Only my teacher its availible and he's time its limited. The retirement its on my mind again.

6. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Felix, if you ever get a chance try to hook up with Piro Rodriguez. I studied with him just before he left NY to go back to the island.

He has some interesting ideas about practising and just hearing him play is an incredible experience. This guy could play with the best players of any genre of music.

By the way, if you have the Willie Rosario record, "Salsa Machine" from the early 80's you will hear some great playing by Piro---and he was only about 16 years old!!!

7. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    Piro its another monster. One of my favorite orchestras its Willie Rosario. When Tony,Gilberto Toledo,and Primas was there. I do not Know Piro. I think he's on the States.

8. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Piro was the lead player and soloist with Willie Rosario's band during the time that those guys were singing in the band . He played with eveyone in NY back in the 90's and probably recorded 90% of the salsa music that was put out during that time. He moved back to PR about one year ago.