Endurance building

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm in a group that is playing Fanfare for the Common Man and I was wondering what exercises I could do to make it easier? I've just been playing it 3-5 times a day (I would play it closer to 10, but I'm working on some other stuff as well) and every time I just record and listen back and rest after. So my point is, I've been playing it a lot hoping it gets easier, and I think it has a little so far, it's only been about 2 weeks, and I have months to get it good. But we'll be playing other songs directly after, and right now I can barely play the last note, it's not strong. Any advice for endurance? Or any other tips for this song? I know it's famous and I'm sure many of you have played it so if you have any pointers I'll take them!

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If they aren't already part of you routine, long tones. If they are, do more. The problem with endurance and patience, is it takes time for both to develop. ;-)

3. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    yeah +1 on the long notes!

play them with dynamics aswel!, start on say a middle G and play it FP, then gradually cressendo up to FFFFF and play it for as long as you can, then take a breath and do the same but start FFFFF and end PPPPPPP

then go up to G sharp, then down to F sharp, then A, then F, then Bb, then E and keep working your way out

this will help control and tone quality aswel as endurance

If your an advanced player I would recommend the causro 6 note study but only with the help from a teacher as it can be more harm than good if done wrong

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  5. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    I had the opportunity to play this piece a couple months ago. What I found is that a full, resonant sound at mf sounds better and carries further than a strained sound at forte, especially with 3 trumpets playing. By all means, work on your endurance. That can never hurt (as long as it doesn't hurt). But control your air correctly and back off a little. You'll be happy with how the sound improves and your endurance goes up.

BTW, C trumpets sound awesome on this piece, if that's an option.

-John

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would not play it every day. That just turns the things that you can't do into habits that you need to break later. Your practice routine should have chop builders in them. There is NOTHING special that this piece needs (except solid allround players).

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    here is a trick I use -- seems to help with individual songs -- or at least with the "mental" aspect of playing them with endurance. In addition to SOFT LONG tones --- I would play the piece a couple of times each week and go 10 or 20 times slower in time -- yup, every note extended.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Fanfare for the Common Man lasts about four minutes with rests. Playing it ten times in a row does not build endurance. Endurance comes from multiple low-impact repetitions. Time to pull out the Clarke book....

9. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I can't say much more than this, but I'm in a marching group that is playing an arrangement of this that is very similar to the original. It's about 2 minutes long. Point being, the dynamics will have to be there, I'll be playing right before this and right after and will be out of breath. Maybe the mentality will be different in that situation than sitting at home playing it on a loop?

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

What kind of fatigue do you have? Is it common tiredness like your chops won't vibrate? Or is it some kind of swelling or pain?

One way of mitigating common fatigue is to choose a mouthpiece slightly shallower than your existing piece. A well rounded bite helpful too. Of course this might not be a good time to make a major mouthpiece change. However for Spring or next year you might consider some mouthpiece experimentation to get a little more bang for the buck.