endurance help needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdangel38, Jun 29, 2011.

1. jdangel38

jdangel38 Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2011
    Hey all,
    Lately i've developed a frustrating problem while playing the trumpet.
    For the Last several years, I generally did not play more than 5-10 times a month. Now, I've been playing nearly every day lately for various national guard functions as well as just practicing on my own. I decided I wanted to get more serious about the trumpet, and bought a pro horn, and started practicing regularly.
    My problem is that my lips seem to be getting tired quite easily. More so than any time since I got off of active duty in 2007. I realize there is no quick fix for this, but what can I do to begin strengthening my lips so such a problem is not an issue in the future?

Specific help, such as what worked for you would be appreciated. Yes I know long tones are good, but specifics are what I am lacking. Thanks for your time in advance.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    there is no shortcut, you gotta put in your face time. flexibility exercises will help build strength.

stamp
    arban
    clarke
    irons
    schlossberg

I suspect that your endurance is bad because you have been playing more than you are used to. Rest is an important component of building endurance & strength.

jdangel38 likes this.
  3. jdangel38

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks Darby, I have arbans and Clarke, but ill have to get the others now and start
    Working out of them too. I know I need a day off, but have been unable to
    Get one due to our schedule.

4. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Try David Hickman's 15 Advanced Embouchure Studies - they worked wonders for me. At their foundation they are lip bend exercises. I would highly recommend going through these with a good teacher, rather than alone.

All the best,
    Adrian

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    do the scales -- C,D,E, etc - in the staff -- hold the notes for your long tones (I mean hold them as long as you can on a breath) then go to the next note. REST between scales -- OK then do the scales again and tongue them (eigth notes or 16 notes - whatever) -- REST -- this is the general plan that has helped me. Also you can play a note - like a 2nd line G in the staff -- for 20 minutes (take breaths as needed) - SERIOUSLY it will take many weeks, and maybe a month or so to get that G working for you ---BUT that is the price for endurance ---AND when your endurance is up there where you don't need to strain to play a song --- then play a song, or many songs for like 5,10, 15 minutes at a time before resting --- FACE to the HORN will build endurance -- but you need to work your way up to that.
    there are no shortcuts -- but in 2 months you should see/feel definite results

6. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    oh, I just thought of something else - try Arban p27 (the "ti-tikka" exercises), start at number 19 and play through to the end of the chapter (number 38, i think). Do them at around crotchet=96 and insert only two bars rest between each exercise.

jdangel38 likes this.
  7. DanoTman

DanoTman New Friend

Oct 13, 2010
  8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    also have a "good" warmup and warm down...
    I do descending arpeggios starting on middle "C" resting between each 1/2 step interval
    ie C-G-E-C rest B-F#-D#- B rest ... down to pedal C
    then diatonic scales ascending
    ie
    c-d-e-f-g------f-g-f-g-f-e-d-c-d-e-f-g------f-g-f-g-f-e-d-c--- rest
    d-e-f-g-a----g-a-g-a -g-f-e- d-e-f-g-a----g-a-g-a -g-f-e-d--- rest
    up to where you aren't straining

very hard to show on line .. but I would recommend getting some lessons so yo ucan get set up with some good routines

9. jdangel38

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I've been gone for most of the last couple weeks performing all over the state. Still got 4 days left.

I have gotten a list of a number of essential trumpet books from a few of the really good trumpet players I know (JW Pepper is awesome!) But I'm going to take all of this adivce to heart. I dont expect shortcuts to help me out, but it can be a tough thing to get good specific advice on endurance from a lot of solid trumpet guys who gained their endurance over the years and havent really thought about it in 20 years lol!

I wish I knew what I was going to do with the rest of my life, but at least I know I want to get better at the trumpet.

If anyone else happens to think of other tips or methods you might have used over the years,I would love to hear about it!
    Thanks, Jon

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I've found the best way for me to build endurance was to just practice more.Rest in between each exercise, Arban's 14 characteristic studies are excellent for this. One thing to watch out for ,is using too much pressure,usually accompanied by playing too loud. If you can cut back some on your volume,you can usually cut back on pressure,which will help endurance. Never play above 80% of your top volume, long tones,slurs,scales,etc. all help,but if played too loud with too much pressure, not so much. Most of us use more pressure than we think we are using,and this the real endurance killer.