endurance help needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdangel38, Jun 29, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1! Also think of too much pressure this way. It cuts off the blood flow to the lip muscles. If there is no or restricted blood flow, then your lips don't function as they should. It's like your leg or arm going to sleep and then you try to move/use them before blood flow is restored. They don't work too well (although it can look funny on a video :lol:).

2. jdangel38

jdangel38 Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2011
    OK guys. I've been working on long tones and the recommended arbans excercises.
    I'm getting soreness on the sides of my embrochure, where I've pretty much never had any before. I'm feeling a little stupid, but is this because I am working muscles I've apparently never worked before?
    Yes, I rest after doing long tones, but they seem to definitely wear my lips down faster than i'm used to lol.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    if you mean the muscles around your mouth then you are doing things right... make sure you do warm usp and cool downs .. that will help

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    From what you are describing, it appears you are working too hard on the mouthpiece. I agree with the posts above that perhaps you are using too much pressure. This could be due to either technique, muscle preparation or the mouthpiece characteristics.

Have you tried going through a routine and different sizes of mouthpieces (rim and depth differences)? As I am assuming you have tried the technical recommendations from the posts above, perhaps the problem is in your mouthpiece choice.

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Endurance = On top of your daily routine, get an I-pod with noise cancelling ear-buds. Load up about 2 hours of your favorite music, put in a quiet mute and play along with the music. Your ear buds will let you hear your core sound from your horn, and you’ll end up playing at stage volume, which is hard to emulate in a practice environment, and you won’t be blasting out the neighbours. This WORKS for endurance!!! ;-)

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As well as to keeping the profit margins up for Apple enhancing their endurance as well.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    +1. Long tones with any mute in the trumpet is a workout. Try the Harmon for long tones.;-)

Turtle

8. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    My uncle who used to play trumpet professionally said when he was about 15 he would practice while siting on a bed so he would not get hurt when he passed out. He said that practicing this way helped alot. Then he told me not to try it because I would hurt myself. The first idea seems like much more fun.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Do some Mexican crunches.

With mouth closed (and no trumpet or mp), tighten up the muscles around your mouth for a few seconds and then release it. Repeat. Do that for one minute and you will feel it. If you DON'T feel it, you probably don't need it.

Regular daily Mexican crunches and you'll be ready for a Mariachi band in no time.;-)

Turtle

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I didn't say Apple, I said Ipod, there are many manufactures of inexpensive Ipods that will work. Additionally it's a tool of the trade, many, many musicians utilize ipods.