endurance help needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdangel38, Jun 29, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sir google ipod. What do you see first? Kinda like the modern version of Kleenex. And like I said, they really do not need our endurance help by continued recognition of their contibution to the ipod products.

Your point is well taken however ipods are a work horse of our profession. I myself do not use one, I have a dell product called a dj (not an ipod), so there are other "versions" that are not ipods that do an equally great job of keeping us all on top of our art form.

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I'll say that you do not need to increase your library unless you just want more variety. Everything that a trumpeter needs for sound and endurance is in Arbans and Clarke.

I'll guess that your problem is not even your chops. I'll bet that your breathing has gone south. Do a search on my "circle of breath". I think that the secret for you is that big breath and relearning to exhale evenly through the horn.

It is less the exercizes and more HOW you play each note that builds power. Better breathing relieves the muscles of a lot of work!

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    WOW - I sit in my recliner chair -- so if I should pass out someday -- the chair will catch meROFLROFL
    some days --- I think I just fall asleep taking a break - with my trumpet in my hand -- or maybe I do pass out --- how would I know???:dontknow::dontknow: when I wake up, or resume normal mode again -- well it all seems the same:cool::cool: - I am so cool anyhow -- if I passed out when playing high notes -- I live alone -- so who would ever know??:shhh::shhh:

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe you need to read the part of the reply you did not quote which was: Your point is well taken however ipods are a work horse of our profession...so there are other "versions" that are not ipods that do an equally great job of keeping us all on top of our art form.

So what I am saying is that I am a fan of these tools and I am agreeing with you.

We really do try to help you here at TM. Read our posts carefully. They are meant to be helpful.

I recommend you read our posts carefully, as when you end your posts with comments such as: "take it up with Apple or whoever your against buying their product. Geeez !," when I am actually agreeing with you, it suggests that you are angry with the advice given. Making you angry is certainly not my intent.

6. jdangel38

jdangel38 Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2011
    Hey Guys, I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions.
    I'm getting a lot of good suggestions here. Keep 'em coming!

Rome wasnt built in a day, so it's good to see the things that have worked for you all in the past.

And I dont know why It's such a big deal that JNINWI suggested the use of an ipod, I think we all understood what was meant. I seriously doubt it's going to increase Ipod sales. I own an Ipod I've had for 6 years, but plenty of people use other MP3 players, and the word Ipod has practically become synonomous with MP3 players anyhow.
    Apple is it's own worst enemy profitwise anyhow, but I'm not going to go into that.

7. jdangel38

jdangel38 Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2011
    In response to some of the other questions, no, I've never done serious mouthpiece searching. I played on a 3c for years, verious brands,
    but probably about 15 months ago I switched to a Marcinciewictz E4 Gordon Young Mouthpiece another trumpet player sold me. I've played on it ever since.

This is the first time i've ever gotten any soreness in these particular areas, It may have been that my sharply increased playing, combined with moving to larger bore trumpet at the same time caused me to begin using more pressure when playing. My frustrations were that my range and endurance dropped drastically ( for about 2 weeks or so), that was the reason I started this post originally. I noticed several times lately that I was holding the trumpet to my face with more pressure than I needed for some reason. I think that this would possibly explain some of the soreness.

Since were on the subject, whats a good warmdown? I've usually just played some pedal tones, is that all thats really needed? If so i'm ok with that.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My choice of using a Dell product has nothing to do with any distrust or angst against a specific corporation, but rather comes from the saying:

"An Apple a day keeps the Doctor away".

I really think that JNINWI has a cool Hi-tech idea as to how one can enhance endurance by using these products. I believe not only endurance is enhanced, but also techincal skills, improving intonation by closely listening through ear plugs, improvisational performance...

Again Great Idea!

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    JDANGLE38

I think if you try using the earbuds, you’ll discover a pretty neat world about you and your horn. It really puts you in a new environment. I use this technique quite often and it has helped in many areas. I have a more sophisticated way of doing this but it’s costly LOL. It’s a way of feeling like your “In the band” and helps your core sound by tons, makes you very aware of how your usung your air, and not to mention endurance !! I just used it again last night. I did an hour of technical studys, then threw in the buds and played with “Chicago” for about ½ hr then finished up with “Bill Chase” for about the same amount of time. Man BILL will work your butt off !!! If you want to make it through an hour of this at stage volume you really have to play smart, just like the real thing !! If you end up trying this, please get back with me and let me know what you think !! So far everyone of my friends that has tried it liked it enough to add it in to their routine. ;-)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I've been using my mp3 player for years and have found it very helpful as you describe. Just used it a week ago to encorporate a new style our sax player recorded with a Latin band on one of his originals we play in our Quintet, to make sure I was placing in the Latin feel to blend with the style he was encorporating in the rearrangment he made with the Latin band.

So yes, I agree with you 100% and use the technique regularly.