endurance help needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdangel38, Jun 29, 2011.

1. jdangel38

jdangel38 Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2011
    Ok, so here is another question I have been thinking about.

Should I be practicing much on days that I work on long tones?
    I'm a little unsure, as several people said not to work on long tones or other embrochure excercises if you have a gig that day.

I did long tones for several days, and then was practicing for about an hour after each day, but I got soreness where I never had before, to the point of discomfort long after finishing, and also a feeling of my lips not really being able to relax. I've taken several days off, and the discomfort is long gone, but should I have done it differently?

Thanks!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My students start with long tones on the mouthpiece for a couple of minutes until producing tone stabilizes. Then come long tones on the trumpet (often VERY slow scales) - during lessons, we play different tones at the same time. That helps to teach intonation - in context. Then comes scales with double and triple tonguing, after that tunes and finally technical studies.

Long tones build muscle memory, provide instant feedback about your breathing and teach PATIENCE!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES, and Maynard went on to be one of the best mentors/teachers that anyone who was ever in one of his bands could attest too. No doubt your students will surpass you in different medical specialties -- some stuff they will learn from others ---- SOME they will discover themselves.

This teaching/learning position has been in a past thread -- and it comes down to teaching, and learning on your own --- being inspired, and then inspiring others. Having motivation to in turn be able to motivate others --the whole teaching/ learning concept is nearly a viscious circle of what came first -- the teacher or the student??? --- and aren't all teachers inherently students through life??? -- and consequently all students are in respect teachers if they pass on whatever they have learned!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is not chicken or the egg philosophy and there is no debate here, the answer is simple, when an individual (teacher) is instructing another (student) the teacher always comes first.

Now, there must be trust in the teacher to optimize the learning interaction, and the teacher should be skilled in optimizing the learning environment. If the student does not feel these dynamics are play, then the student has the right to vote with their feet.

The professionals mentioned in your reply all had teachers. They empowered them to advance trumpet playing to the next level. Yes, these gifted individuals may have surpassed their teachers, but I believe that advancement just as much reflects on the quality of the teacher as it does on the student.

So again, no chicken or the egg here, the teacher comes first. So KT, write a letter to your teacher and thank that individual for giving you the skills you have. And let your teacher know you are working hard at taking it to the next level.

5. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

And yet without the benefit of your guidance they have somehow stumbled into the position of chasing Exxon as the world's most valuable company. [bloomberg]

Apple Tops $400, Chases Exxon as World?s Most Valuable Company - Bloomberg

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK to this point you have demonstrated a good response. This feeling is letting you know you are toning your lips. This is a good thing and OVER TIME will build endurance and accuracy.

With this comment, you are relating that you are experiencing strain. Strain means damage. Always stop PRIOR to the point of strain, the earliest indicator of strain is when your accuracy begins to fail. Stop at this point. The next point in the progression is pain. Definitely stop at pain, but some damage (albeit reversible) has been done at this stage.
    Now repeat after me: "Pain is our friend".

Practice up to the point of fatigue. Stop there and note the time. The next couple of days thereafter, stay at this time. After about a week, increase the time by 20%. So a half hour practice expands by about 5 minutes. An hour practice expands by about 10 minutes. Then give this new time a week to take. Then should you desire more practice time, it's Ok to increase again;

HOWEVER, after about every 15 minutes to a half hour into a practice session, rest for 5-10 minutes to take the pressure of the moutpiece off of your lips. Let the blood get back to the area to perfuse the muscle and transport the lactic acid that has been building up to leave the area. Perhaps gentle lip massage during this break will help as well. Then have at it for another 15 minute or so play time.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES GM we are in agreement -- Maynard attributed his success to his best music teacher -- HIS MOTHER.
    GM ALY :wub:____________:wub: ROFLROFL