Endurance Problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet_freak, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Trumpet_freak

Trumpet_freak New Friend

Mar 19, 2011
    I've recently begun taking lessons from a trumpet professor at the college I hope to attend in the fall. The first thing he told me was that my tonguing style was awkward. Apparently, my tongue was striking forward and not operating like a valve (moving up and down). However, after I had started trying it the new way, I discovered that my sound, endurance, and speed had all been drastically reduced.My mom wants me to perform a senior trumpet recital in about two months (a full hour's worth), and I was going to do it, but I can't hold out anywhere near that long now, and i don't know if I'll be able to do it in two months, or even three or four. When should i expect my endurance to pick back up?

2. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Sometimes when you try something new other things can seem to fall apart. Since this new technique was suggested by your teacher, not some crazy idea you thought up, give it some time … maybe a week or so. Nothing will go so wrong that you don't have time to revert before your recital.

I am assuming that you will see your teacher again soon. Since this seems to be a radical change for you, you shouldn't be doing it without also planning to see him for follow-up lessons soon. If things are not working out he may suggest putting off the changes until summer, which can be a good time to work out long-term fixes.

I am concerned that there may be a bigger problem, and that is your lack of confidence in your teacher, one who you may be studying with for quite some time at college. When you or I begin studies with any new teacher there is a period of time that we have to take things on faith, even when they seem to be weird or wrong (this is the good thing about teachers – they tell us stuff that we never would have thought up on our own!). Some teachers are good and some are bad, but you have to give them a chance. The fact that you brought your problem to the forum shortly after beginning your studies suggests a lack of faith in your teacher. In the long term, this is a more serious issue than how your playing has been affected.

And as to your specific question "When should i expect my endurance to pick back up?" ... nobody here knows the answer to that! Your description of the problem, as good as it may be, is not adequate for anyone here to make a diagnosis. And if someone makes up an answer, don't trust it!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Does your new teacher know you're planning to play a senior recital,and that your having problems with the new changes in your playing? Talk to your teacher and ask to work on this change after your recital.You will be able to concentrate more on what he wants you to do without being distracted by your senior recital.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    HUP D DUP .. seems pretty right on ... a discussion with your instructor seems like the first order of business..
    If I knew any of his/her good students I might check with them to see if they had similar things happen.. if they did it might relieve some of the anxiety.
    One of the best instructors I had told me to read the Inner Game of Tennis..trumpet players think too much ...AND AS OVER SAID AS IT IS "TOO MUCH ANALYSIS CAUSES PARALYSIS"
    breathe and breathe .. and then breathe some more

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Here we go again. It should be clear to every student and teacher: YOU DO NOT MESS WITH EMBOUCHURES DURING PLAYING SEASON! The tongue is a BIG part of the embouchure.

It is simply irresponsible to place performances in danger. That being said, a teacher may simply decide that something is so wrong, that all playing dates are cancelled for a while. Then the decision is move forward or not.

If the recital was mentioned and the teacher said "no problem", then I question their judgement. If the recital was not mentioned, then you blew it. If the teacher simply feels that you need more time for change before college, then you need to search your soul. Is it worth it?

Some times you can't have your cake and eat it too!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, Yes, and thank you, thank you. This hits home personally to me, and rowuk, you are right on with this commentary. Please listen to this career enhancing advice.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am cringing as I type this but after reading rowak's comment ... is it possible the instructor was just trying to get more of a du than a tu attack? That just softens it up the a bit not a season ending change right? Where is this instructor when you need him to clarify ... bring him into the Ring of Fire :)

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    anyways -- besides the whole tonguing issue -- I would use long soft tones a lot in practice --- and look see in a month or so.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I doubt it. The instructor is probably playing with tongue arch. This is serious stuff.

I have found in my teaching that most embouchure development/changes can be evolutionary. A good mix of a daily routine with the right longtones and lipslurs, with proper monitoring and guidance on body use can move tongue and chops without destroying anything. I see little chance to accomplish similar things without seeing the student face to face.