Endurance Problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wynton, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Wynton

Wynton New Friend

Jul 9, 2005
    When I am playing a 1/2 - 1 page piece of music, my chops just want to fall apart when I get to the end. What are some good exercises/practice techniques that you sugget?

2. DLoeffler

DLoeffler Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Scales slowly, softly, loudly, Arban characteristic studies, the list goes on and on.

Basically, more time on the horn. It is like getting ready for a recital. If you can't play the entire recital straight through with no break, then you are not in shape for it. Likewise, just because you are able to last for 4 hours on a wedding band gig doesn't mean you are able to play a recital. It is two completely different types of playing and endurance really comes into play when the show is you and not the other 4 to 8 guys in the band.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    It would probably be useful in helping Manny "diagnose" your situation if you advised your age, time on trumpet, status of private lessons, etc. etc.

You mean you can only last for 1/2 to a single page of music? What range are you trying to play? etc. etc.

Just a tip, coming from me.

ie... don't take your car to the mechanic and say "It goes thump, bink and then won't start....what do I do next?"

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    It means that what you're doing is ineffecient. I have no idea whether your embouchure is so corrupted that breathing more and relaxing more is going to have any effect. There's not enough information from you to make any kind of intelligent determination. Do you have a private teacher? You could be tight as a drum, you could be using your left nostril to play, I just don't know without hearing you in person.

Sorry, I have no idea why you can't get through half a page of music without getting tired other than the obvious possibilty of you just might need to practice until you build the supportive muscle tissue to a point where your embouchure is supported. That assumes that your berathing, embouchure, and body use is sound.

ML

5. Wynton

Wynton New Friend

Jul 9, 2005
    I have been playing for three years, and I do take private lessons.
    My teacher thinks I sound fine and I know the music, and I can play very well until I come to the lip slur to a fifth line F. It's not that I can't play the slur (sounds excellent when I practice that measure separately).

I strive to "fill up" with air when needed, and it's not mouthpiece pressure (I can play up to a high Bb without much difficulty).

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    What you describe is very typical for very young players. The embouchure sets for a specific register until you learn to be flexible and can cut across the "breaks". Eventually you gain strength and flexibility and there are no breaks but for now you're still learning and gaining strength and flexibility. Everything comes with time.

ML

7. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    Manny couldn't have said it better. You could work specifically on flexibility exercises. There are some excellent ones in the Claude Gordon systematic approach to practice. But really you just need to be diligent, continue to practice regularly and set goals for yourself. I have been playing trumpet for almost 12 years now (my.... time flies) and I set performance goals for myself to this day. I had an amazing teacher in college who was 30 years older than me, doing the same thing. Work towards a goal, be determined and you will get there.

V/R
    Joshua Sullins

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'm not Manny... (No kidding!)
    ...but I remeber someone commenting on endurance in which the mouthpiece was a huge factor:
    Maybe you should look into this. (Wynton, this is tongue-in-cheek)((which will also help your endurance))

-cw-

"It's not my fault! Obi-Wan (or whomever) is just jealous of me"
    Anakin Skywalker