Endurance question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NJtrpt, Dec 21, 2006.

1. NJtrpt

NJtrpt New Friend

Nov 16, 2006
    Hi,
    Got a question for anyone with advice. I am playing several church gigs this holiday which will be strictly trumpet and organ. The music consists mainly of church hymns and the request is to have the trumpet part play the melodey.

There is nothing technically hard about the music. My challenge is that all verses of the hymns, anywhere from 4 to 7 times, are to be played. There is no breaking point. I tried to recommend playing alternate verses etc., which is not an option. Below is a list of things I will be doing to get through the pieces. Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated.

1. Focus on letting the air to the work, not the chops
    2. Get the mouthpiece off the chops every moment possible
    3. Trying to pace myself, not 'spend it all' in the first few verses

How much of this is a mental game vs. physical.
    Thanks.
    Paul

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think those 3 points are excellent, especially the one dealing with good breath support. The only thing I can add is that you might be able to vary the dynamics from verse to verse or phrase to phrase, as it feels appropriate to the piece.

3. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    It's a mental game but not the one you're thinking of. Whoever is requiring that you play all the verses without a break is being unreasonable and just doesn't know what they're asking of you. Just tell them that's not how it's done and it will sound better with alternating verses and a maybe a descant on the last one. If they still don't like it suggest they find someone else. They'll either do it in your reasonable way or find someone else. Either way your problem is solved.

4. crash

crash New Friend

Dec 6, 2006
    Maryland
    I have this same problem. every week. There is never a break in congregational singing from verse to verse. It's getting better though as I practice more and more. What I find helpful is to take a break on a verse (usually the last one of the song and come back in with a run or something similar as a pick-up to the chorus. It actually can add a very nice dynamic.

Craig
    Holton MF-Horn ST302

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    When I was playing in my church I would play the whole notes at the correct value and rest while the congregation held them too long.

I could usually find a place I could pull the mouthpiece off for a short time to recover. I was using Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities and Goldman Double Tongueing exercises to increase my endurance. It wasn't just the indurance I increased but I also shortened my recovery time between repeats. A shorter recovery time is good for hymns.

6. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    I agree with Siegtrmpt - it is unreasonable to expect you to play continuosly on all stanzas of all hymns. Do yourself and every trumpet player who follows you a favor and educate that director. The trumpet is not a piano or an organ. Especially if there is an organ there, there is no reason to have you play everything - this just shows a lack of imagination on the director's part, and ignorance as to the physical demands placed on your musicians.

J

7. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Ditto Mr. Clean and Seigtrmpt. Organists often have no clue, but usually will listen to reason. I am on my way to a job tonight where this has been a problem, but when confronted with the option of finding another player, they agreed to my requests.
    Roy

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY

I was going to say something like this but I chickened out becuause then I'd be a wuss. However, I am a wuss anyway.

Happy Practicing,

Richard Oliver

9. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    What is a "wuss"?

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The key to success is not to ask, but to say to the organist: "I'll play the first, third and last verse. I generally look at the verses and play when the words "Power", "Majesty", "Glory" come up and rest for verses with "fair", "lowly", "mercy" and "sorrow". Even the most sadistic organist gets the message when we have good arguments!