endurance, tonequality dillema

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jeroen Jongeling, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Jeroen Jongeling

Jeroen Jongeling Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Thanks to all who replied so far. Maybe you guys can help me out a bit more.

I would like to order a custom mouthpiece from Bach (yes, the 1-1/2C with 3.8mm throat and 24 backbore). Do you know what number throat is the 3.8mm (could it be the 24?)? I've switched back to my old 1-1/2C, which I had drilled out to a 3.8mm throat. Really felt like home again. So, the feeling is right, now for a bit of improvement on the sound. That's where I think the 24 backbore would help me.
    For some reason the drilled out one gives me the feeling my lips have a little bit more room then(e/a? sorry) the standard one. Is that only because of resistance difference, or just because of the machines not producing identical copies? A lot of questions for a pro guy, or what? :oops:
    Now for the practical part: where do I order my mouthpiece? I checked out the Bach website, but couldn't find a link to order such a special item. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input, Jeroen.

2. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I'm not able to answer your other questions, but I can tell you where to find the mouthpieces. My trumpet prof orders Bach mouthpiece from WW&BW and they do the work right there, it only takes like two weeks to do, as opposed to Bach, which takes 8-12 months!! Also, there's a lot of private shops that do mouthpiece alterations, I believe Reeves does them, and maybe some other big name guys, hope this helps!

3. Jeroen Jongeling

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Currently playing the Yamaha 16D, and I must say, it's a very good alternative. Never bothered to try them, but they're really good, at least this one is for me. Nice deep cup, almost like a 1C, but less big diameter (so I still have that 1-1/2C feel). Let's see what it does for me the coming weeks. First impressions (the last two weeks) are very good.

Jeroen.

4. Jeroen Jongeling

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Well,

some weeks ago I was telling you all about the Yamaha 16D piece I found and liked. Then, I sat down a couple of times with a close friend, also a pro. He suggested taking the plunge with the 1C's. He told me I had the power for it and just had to give it time to grow on me. I took up his advice and he gave me a couple of 1C's to try. He told me, if I had a bad day, just stick with it!

Since that day I didn't switch back anymore. Now, two weeks later I'm glad I did it. I'm expecting a few bad days, but I'm confident that those days will not put me down. My sound...Wow!!!! I still can't believe that it's finally working for me.

As far as endurance and range: It all came back pretty quick. My range is the same as with the 1-1/2C. My endurance isn't there yet, but in a couple of weeks it should be like before. What amazed me most: the gain in controlling my playing and sound. Like I finally have enough room to do that. Intonation problems I had before (I was blaming the trumpet ofcourse) are a lot less (almost none).

I'll put something up here in two weeks to let y'all know if it's still working for me.

Jeroen.

5. Jeroen Jongeling

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    It's been a while since the above post, so, like I promissed, here's an update on my 1C adventure.

I'm still playing the Bach 1C! I'm still switching a bit between an old one and a new one I bought two years ago. The new one is on my horn more and more. The sound I get with it is a little darker then on the old 1C. I already received some compliments on my improved sound. That feels so good! Endurance is almost completely back and my range is also almost where I want it to be.

Currently started studying for an audition in june, which is going rather well. I noticed that I have to learn all the stuff all over again. Having seen those excerpts hundreds of times and having them played on my old setup, the new mouthpiece forces me to learn them all over again. Very refreshing! Hope it all has the desired effect in June.

Greetz from Amsterdam, Jeroen.

6. Jeroen Jongeling

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Another update:

Well, I'm still very happy with the 1C mouthpiece. I recently ordered a Kanstul copy, so I have an "old-style" bach mouthpiece that is my own. Eventually I have to return the one I like most to the owner. The new bach 1C I had is a little too big for me. It sounds fantastic on low orchestral parts, but for preparing an audition and playing the Tomasi, it's way too big for me.
    For the coming audition I settled on a 1-1/4C. It makes everything a little bit easier and the sound is still great. I'm actually thinking of going back a step permanently. So, for now it's the 1-1/4C for studying and general playing. In the pit however, it's still a 1C on the horn. Rheingold is currently my source of income (very boring).

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jeroen,

Good work on finding something that makes you happy but...

I'm sorry you're not into Rheingold!

The Ring operas are among my favorite music... I've known them since my days in Seattle where I played the cycle twice per summer and got into them in a big way. I'm one of those freaks that loves the music of Wagner and have taught my children the stories of the operas.

When my son was 5 he could identify many of the leitmotivs and used to beg me to tell him the stories. Gods, dragons, magic swords, evil dwraves, flying singing women, grand palaces built by giants... what's not to like for a youngster? Anyway, had someone not sat me down the first time and told me the story I might not have enjoyed it as much either. It's still the stuff that makes me wonder if I didn't make a mistake by not trying for a job at the Met when Mel passed away.

But I don't wonder TOO long.

ML

8. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Another "Ringer"! Marvellous (How can one play a brass instrument and not be into that stuff?)

Manny, I presume then that you must have a copy of the Georg Solti "Golden Ring" DVD of the 1965 BBC documnetary? If not, go to Amazon immediately and get it!

One of my favorite youthful memories was a Cincinnati concert performance of (a lot of) Die Walkure with Jess Thomas and Eileen Farrell--unbelieveable in a really big hall...who needs a mic...the orchestra almost did to be heard under Farrell at times!

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes! I picked up the Golden Ring last year, in London while on tour. It is an amazing testament to persistent work and the artistry combined to produce what is still one of the greatest Ring recordings ever.

I need to replace the vinyl with the CD versions of the same set, however. Maybe this summer.

ML

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    This conversation has progressed from mouthpiece size to Wagner's ring cycle. Now I know why I like this place so much.
    -jimi