Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jul 28, 2004.

1. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Most of the "advice" I hear people give to others seems like a competition on who has the latest gimmicks.

Endurance, high range, and embouchure methods come a dime a dozen and some of these people practicing these off the wall methods need prefessional help! (from a trumpet teacher that is!!!) Trumpet methods are way too over disected. It gives me a headache when I read some of the stuff people are doing to improve their playing NOW when all that is needed is some diligent practice and PATIENCE!!!!! Larry Gianni posted a thread called "The Virtue Of Patience". Do yourself a favor and read this post and any other post that he has on TM. I have gained a lot of useful knowledge through reading them and I know some of you will too. (for those who haven't read his posts)

2. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    If there was just one method to improving your trumpet playing, I don't believe there would be as many who continue to play the instrument! I personally thought that was part of the whole "experience" when it came to the trumpet: finding what works for you, and getting as damned good as possible!

I was just wanting to see what everyone does to improve certain aspects of their playing so I could try what works for them. I found the balanced embochure technique improved my range, but not as much as it has for others. I will still use that particular warmup, but I won't always do it, and Pops's method of setting off of G didn't really give me a noticeable improvement.

I'm a personal believer in keeping things fresh. I might do thirty minutes of slurs one day, maybe three the next. Sometimes I start with an arban exert, sometimes I play out of my old quintet folder. Sometimes I transpose certain passages up or down an interval or two, just to test my ability at both sight reading and transposition. Sometimes I lip buzz, sometimes I leadpipe buzz, etc, etc.....

Im a random person, and I prefer doing random things, even in my practice. I guess you could call it "Van's Bi-Polar Trumpet Method" (MY gimmick) :D

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    you want more endurance? horn on the face time and buzzing when you are not with the horn... no method needed.

you want more range? see above, plus more, more, MORE air SPEED... no method needed.

Methods are great but like it's been said before, they are a dime a dozen, ind one that works and go with it. Scales and Clarke/Arban studies worked for me. Yes I know Clarke/Arban is a method, I've prolly used 'em all at one point or another. I use various pieces from this and that for a warmup routine. But, I still stand by my statement, for more range/endurance, no method is needed, just horn on the face time... properly.

Just my two cents..

Bear

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Isnt 30 a bit much?

I would say the amount of "randomness" you seem to have is not good.

does this really seem to work for you?

5. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I found that the longer I slur, the longer I can last playing-wise.

Well, I have never thought playing the same exercises over and over, unless you are having to play it for a recital, were really worth pounding in your skull.

For the changing warm-up routine, I just like keeping things mixed up. As long as I get in SOME slurs (Should edit my post, but oh well), I'm fine. I just prefer not doing the same tired routine, to keep things new. It's never seemed to hamper my playing.......

I could experiment, though!

Van

6. Lo

Lo New Friend

Nov 25, 2003
    Toronto,Ontario
    Hi!

I too am getting around some bad habbits since getting my wisdom teeth out they seem to be amplified. Such as twisting the mouthpiece on my face and tightening up of the chest while playing which my teacher is trying to help me get past. I really like the idea of that setting for G note and will try it tomorrow! I was also playing around with leadpipe blowing and had some questions about it. Are you supposed to use your embrochure (sp.) that you use with your mouthpiece or just sort of put your mouth around the pipe? Also, are you supposed to be able to hit all the notes you can regularly get? Because, all i'm getting is like high pitched notes coming out of my bell! Thanks for all the help!

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003

I have heard that many teachers advocate starting on G in the staff and I think that starting on G on top of the staff could be very bad for someone that isn’t very well developed in the mid and low range.

Given the problems listed in your pervious post I would NOT recommend starting on a G on top of the staff.

8. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Its a bad habit, trying to develop the high range and saying "to hell" with all other aspects. I currently know a high school Freshman at my old high school who brags about his high range. He can hit a 3rd octave G (Which is amazing), but he earned it at the sacrifice of everything else in his playing, from tone to production of sound to flexibility....

I am right now playing at a level I've always dreamed of achieving (Just took one whole summer of locking yourself away from the world, and dedicating everything to practicing). I can produce a tone thats only a few steps away from what I've pictured in my head (I'm debating if I should brighten, or darken), and my flexibility is getting better everyday (I dont care how high you play, the real way show off to me is the crazy slur-playing! I could listen to Pangaea's recordings on the Wild Thing over a screech DCI soloist ANY DAY!). I still can't hit a high F consistently, but I'm always trying. It'll come some day, and boy what a happy day that will be. Until then, I will focus on getting a decent seat at Cumberland, and trying for Brevard this summer. I need to find a good piece to work up for a tape......

9. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    well, schucks...

I used to study with Wes Hensel and one day he told another student (after hearing me do some flexibility stuff) "He's paid some dues." I was gratified because one aspect of playing I've pretty consistently worked on is slurs/flexibility...now I'm in love with the Frink/McNeil book FLEXUS. I feel a session is incomplete if I don't get some of this stuff in.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    The top G setting / Balanced Embouchure is not a gimmick in any way. Jeff Smiley goes over this setting very clearly in his book http://www.trumpetteacher.net . Of course practice is necessary, but years of practicing with a poor embouchure really doesn't make sense. I know that
    a few weeks with Jeff's book did more to improve my all around playing than years of hammering out exercises that didn't address my core problem which was an inneficient, open setting.

Now that I've used the top G setting for a couple years I look back and realize how much it has helped. I can actually skip a day or two and still play well at my next gig. I could NEVER do that before. Also, if I practice hard like I used to I can take my playing up to another level whenever I have a few days in a row with enough time to practice.

Get the book and try it.

Greg