Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    I too am an advocate of BE, however to take advantage of the G setting you don't need to change your embouchure - it works with the one you're already using - that's what makes it so awesome - you're doing something you know how to do already, just in a slightly different application.

2. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    *Burning "Frink/McNeil- FLEXUS" into the deepest recesses of his mind....OUCH!*

I have decided to make an attempt to change my embochure. After an hour lesson today with Alan Suska, he's really got me thinking. I've always had trouble with playing in the center, but he's shown me WHY.

I'm a pressure player.

I don't let the air vibrate the lips as much as they should, I've treated them as a sort of byproduct. I've always let my mouth muscles do the work (And, I'm proud to say, I've done pretty good with it so far, heh.)

Well, he got me to finally start doing it like he's wanted. By lordie, I love it! It was like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain! Starting tomorrow, I will begin the new regimen. I've already made pretty good progress (In one hour went from fluffy poo sounds to tuning C, with excellent tone but shaky tuning.) I've never felt this before, instead of the feeling like my lips are going to fall off, it feels like they're going to jump off of my face!

Enough blah blah. I will make certain to start collecting books when I start getting some money. Speaking of which, must update my other topic here..

3. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    DAY 2:

Okay, after two days with the new embochure, I have this to report:

1: My max range has been cut down an entire octave (I have improved my range from tuning C to the E above that, however).
    2: My pedal range is AMAZINGLY improved.
    3: It is harder to keep notes in tune.
    4: My produced sound no longer has a whine to it (No one has ever mentioned this before, I started noticing it a month ago, however.)
    5: It is considerably harder to tongue particular styles, especially double and triple tongue.
    6: My soft dynamic is more difficult.
    7: My loud dynamic is already beyond my old embochure's max, with little effort at all. The control of louder dynamics in the low range is already 100% better than before.

From here on, I will report major breakthroughs in playing whenever they occur.

Van

4. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005
    Exactly! I agree with you 100%, that's precisely how I am. My routine takes about 25-30 min also. What's in your routine?

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Endurance? What's that? You mean you people get tired? HAHA.

I'm a bull!

Charge!

I'm just bored...

6. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Been using those little blue pills again, eh?

:cool:

7. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    This is really interesting you brought this topic back to life. I had been trying to figure out the authors of Flexus recently.

Its also interesting that since that last post I made, I have changed my embochure. I've noticed a *lot* of improvement in sound, range, comfort, and endurance. Accuracy is still not at the point where I am completely, but thats my only complaint. I can actually play through the rougher Bitsch etudes without having to curl into a fetal position in a corner weeping, which is good. :D

Van

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Blue pills? Mine are green! lol, j/k. Hardy har har.

9. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Mine taste like Peppermint...... :oops:

10. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I thought it was TRAIL MIX in that plastic bag.....

*Begins writhing on the ground like a snake*

:D

-------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

Started my summer routine yesterday. Two hours yesterday and today. Yesterday I was feeling severely chopped, but today was much different. Could still blow center at the end today, and keep a decent state of consistency. Will still try to ghost on notes every now and then, due to an old habit of manipulating the air in an incorrect way. GRRrrr....

Have put myself in a box for now. Clarke 1,2. Generally keep in the lower register, work on tonguing accuracy in the lower register, which is a weak area of my playing.

Also work on chromatics from low Gb to high G. Go between these two notes slurring, tonguing. When the tonguing is good, will go to "tu" tonguing.

ARBAN. The art of phrasing. The Characteristic studies as well.

VOXMAN Contest and Concert Pieces. I save the pieces here for the last bit of my practice. I play these until I can't play them musically anymore.

Will keep the practice spread out like this: play 30, rest 15, play 30, rest 30, play 30, rest 60, play 30, rest 60, end or play until shot.

When I find I can keep my stuff together after two hours, will increase the playing time to 45.

Hope to eventually be able to sit down, play through all the Arban Characteristic studies without a long break, without feeling chopped. I cannot leave my box until then. :x

Van