Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trptguru, Sep 14, 2006.

1. trptguru

trptguru New Friend

Sep 14, 2006
    I have problems with endurance. I have four straight hours of rehersal. (2 hours wind ensemble, then 2 hours orchestra) By the time I hit the 30 minute mark in Orchestra my chops are shot and I have to flub my way through the rest of the rehersal. Are there any fast tracks to gaining endurance? In the mean time to gaining endurance, what are some ways I can continue to play once my chops are shot. Thanks

trptguru

2. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    How do you keep going when the chops are shot? Ice rubbed on the lips can help. Slip a couple of aspirin into your system before orchestra practice. Back off on the air and volume, try to conserve your strength.

As for building endurance, it just takes time. I may get flamed for this, but I think endurance is a bit like high notes---for some folks it's a lot easier than others. I'm one of those blessed with good endurance. Four hours and I'm still going strong with most music.

There is one exercise that my teacher, the top pro in twon, really likes for building endurance. Take out Clarks, turn to p.1, exercise 4 and go to 14, OR start at 14 and go to exercise 25. Do it by playing each line twice, and then going on but by nosebreathing ONLY! Breath after you end the half note at the end of each exercise. Don't take the mouthpiece off your chops until you've completed the exercise OR until your chops have failed.

My teacher and I have gone for just under 15 minutes nosebreathing and playing without taking the horn off our chops.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Play softer in band. Play much softer when you warm up.

See how that goes.

ML

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Are you playing 1st trumpet or cornet in the band? There is a limit to the punishment your face can take. 2 hours rehearsing is a pretty big wind band chunk depending on the conductor.
    My endurance went way up when I started playing natural trumpet. The first 6 months were painful, after that my normal playing got much easier.

5. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Manny is right and I would add this to that statement of softness........your notes will carry more across the band/orchestra if they are in tune and centered thereby not requiring much effort in force/strength to play them.

After a long break and wanting to get my chops stronger I've even tried the pencil exercise. Hold the new unsharpened pencil rubber end in your lips not between the teeth for as long as you can a few times a day. Also, play a note for as long as you can and when you breathe, do it through your nose while keeping your lips set as you were playing before. Learning to rest your chops is just as important as exercising them; so, spell off your playing to others or split the score to others in the section off and on if you are able.

Liad Bar-EL

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    So true. In a band setting, you have 6 (wind ensemble) or more (symphonic band) trumpets. Quite often, we face having 3 on a part, or even more. This makes it harder to hear oneself, so consequntly, we play louder to hear ourselves, when in reality just the opposite needs to happen. This is why bands have the reputation of being just loud. Think of forte as full; fortissimo as double full.

7. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    Glenn, so true!!!

I wish I would have realized this several years ago...woulda saved myself a lot of trouble!!