Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Jan 3, 2008.

1. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Something I've always struggled with. I have always felt like I should be able to play longer, louder, and higher. I just haven't ever really gotten to my goal. I have gotten better in the past couple of years, but I still find myself only hitting that last A or higher very weakly or not even at all. Does anyone have any suggestions or exercises? I have Arban's, but that is by far the best one I've got.
    Thanks
    Jazz9

2. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Use a mic to play louder. ;)

3. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    again... for range, and control, do alot of soft playing. For Volume, do some sit-ups and alot of breathing exercises. (you can find a lot by typing in "Brass Breathing exercises" or something of that sort into your browser or google.) There isn't a book that can teach you endurance, only this picture can teach you endurance.

[​IMG]

4. Mattrumpet

Mattrumpet New Friend

Aug 16, 2005
    Fargo, ND/Greeley,CO
  5. alittlebirdy

alittlebirdy New Friend

Oct 13, 2007
    Please don't dish out ridiculous "advice". Volume has nothing to do with sit ups.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I would think that increased strength of the abs would help get more air out of your body.

For endurance, do long tones. Lots of them. And slowly.

7. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    Abs are nothing to do with trumpet playing... Are you able to sing properly when you contract your abs ? No. So why would it be the case while playing the trumpet ?

Stéphane

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Littlebirdy,
    How unbecoming of a new poster. We don't talk like that around here.
    (The occasional "hogwash" is an exception.)

Doing sit ups and swimming laps can provide excellent vitality to the experienced trumpet player. A beginner needs fundamentals of breathing and plenty of guidance at first. Physical exercise is a bonus that can carry on forever. Running, swimming, sit ups, any exercise that requires rhythmic breathing under physical stress.

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    If you aren't using your abs to sing and play trumpet then you are not singing and playing trumpet.

Do a search on breathing and you should get plenty of advice from past posts.

10. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    I knew somebody would tell me that... So how can you explain that I can get a solid double high C without contracting my abs ?

Stéphane