Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Jan 3, 2008.

1. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I doubt Maynard Ferguson did any situps.

Just saying.

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    playing a trumpet is both mental and physical so to be at your best you should be well rested and in good physical condition. this was some advice given by "Doc" back in 1967 and I do believe he knew a little something about playing the trumpet. Dave

3. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    Dave, I do agree with you. Trumpet playing requires a good physical condition. Then everything than can keep us in good physical shape is good for trumpet playing. I'm just really not found of sit-ups... :D

Stéphane

4. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    You think Maynard was fat??? no no no, that was all muscle, he was a machine hahaha.

5. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    High notes come from faster air through your appeture, not from larger amounts of air. More air means more volume. The only way your gonna be able to push more air out FASTER is if you do some kind of ab work out. so you can push the air out with a greater intensity. The Double High C will come out from alot of practice, soft playing, and super solid chops. You will have to keep your appeture nice and small to hit those high notes really loud.

6. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Well anyone can just come on here and say they can play a double C, and I don't doubt many can. I'm just wanting some advice on how to improve my endurance. Thanks everyone for the help. When you mean long tones, patric, what octave do you mean? Above the staff, in the middle, or below? And I think I need to start some sit-ups and running anyway, I'm a little rusty from marching season. Thanks again everyone for the help, I'm going to try everything you guys have said. :)

By the way, do you know why soft practice works, patric? I don't do a lot of it, so I don't really know.

7. Budlight

Budlight New Friend

Jan 1, 2008
    Gulf Breeze,Florida
    Endurance has many benefits to ALL areas of life and can be used to enhance every aspect of the activity the person is focusing on. Performing in sport, playing and instrument or being able to perform a task to your best of your ability. Vo2 max is a good example of what can be understood in our ability to obtain, store and be able to utilize when it is needed for whatever you want it to be available for. It is our ability to breath freely and effortlessly/deeply and have as much of that possibility ready for us to tap into when needed. So if I train my lungs and the cells of my body to absorb as much oxygen as possible to be used for whatever I decide to use it for is it to my benefit? Defiantly! Will the cardiovascular/endurance training help me practice longer so I can obtain my goals with my instrument of choice? Ask a smoker who quit smoking and began exercising his or her lungs more productively if they have greater stamina for playing and for life. Will core training/ab training improve your posture so that you can sit up more easily and be able to hold good posture for playing? You bet! Your body is a machine and your trumpet does NOTHING until you put air through it and it will sing what you want if you can support it with good ergonomics and a healthy, strong and controlled breathing. Diaphragm breathing is not a squeezing type of breathing, it is more about an opening and relaxing type of breath work. When it is coupled with a strong core amazing things can happen. But it does take time and focus to achieve yet the effects of the practice will become noticeable in terms of how your body feels when practicing. Some of us don't have the God given talent to play like others so we have to discover other ways to make our game a little more enjoyable. The main thing is to continue to experiment with others suggestions if they appeal to you and be grateful when you do stumble upon something that really does turn the key for you. The destination may be to play more freely with better holding power in the upper registers but it is the journey that we take to get there that makes us the best player we can be.
    Good luck and have fun finding what works for you!
    Budlight

8. trptcolin

trptcolin New Friend

Nov 6, 2004
    Athens, GA
    First, I do agree that the abdominal muscles play an important role in high/loud playing (also at the end of a breath).

However, if your abs are doing the same thing when playing trumpet that they do when doing situps (contracting towards each other), then, respectfully, I think something weird is going on. Most people's abs move up and in to push air out of the lungs when playing trumpet. If the abs are moving together and really "flexing" (like they do with situps), then it's an isometric exercise and you have unnecessary tension, right?

-Colin

9. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    trumpet playing does not require "good physical condition" some of the best trumpet players in the world past and present probably couldn't run a mile.

10. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Patric please stop with this ab work out nonsense. :-(