Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    We need strength for the high notes (and quiet playing!), flexibility for getting around the horn in a hurry, and endurance, and each of these has its own practice requirements.

For endurance, we need to play something that is low impact for a long period of time. Clarke studies are very good, the goal is to get the lips feeling a bit "tingly," resting a bit, then continuing.

The tingling sensation comes from blood coursing through and gently expanding the capillaries. The better blood supply allows the waste products to leave the muscles more quickly, and more oxygen, sugars, etc. to reach the muscles. It is kind of like putting a bigger carburetor and exhaust system on a car, improving performance while using the same engine.

Physical fitness is important, but strength training and endurance are two separate issues.

Have fun!

tatakata likes this.
  2. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    Thanks Vulgano to put us back on track, and actually answering the question accurately.

St├ęphane

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jazz9,
    improving your endurance can mean increasing physical power, or learning to play and practice more efficiently - or like many things in life, finding the truth in the middle.
    The first step is an analysis of what you can presently play. The second is figuring out how much time you will be able to devote to getting better and the last decision is the routine to get you there.
    If you are practicing an hour a day now and want to take up running and swimming, but do not have any additional time, your only choice is to play smarter. That would rule out many choices requiring additional practice time.
    Forget about long tones and soft or anything else new. Give us an idea first of what you can presently accomplish, what your daily routine is, what type of playing that you do and what kind of time will be available for regular practicing. Then we can give you something better than internet forum generalities! I believe that improvement requires more than guesstimates.
    I am sure that we have some options for optimisation.

4. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Just maybe if Maynard did work on his stomach muscles he wouldn"t have had to go through so many hernia operations.Being in good shape aerobically and keeping your core strong has to be a plus

5. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    If you have the time and will, follow through with the Claude Gordon method, the combination of his exercises and those of Clarke, Arban, Colins etc. as prescribed will help you attain your goal. Be sure to read his notes everyday and if possible find a teacher who has studied with Claude or others who know the system well.Typically using his routine you will easily spend 3 solid hours of technique with all the necessary rests. There are no shortcuts!!!Just systematically working to your goal.Oh yes keeping fit does help a lot, not so much the abs but more the upper body.But if you do have a six pack and play double C's I suppose you would be a hit on the beach! Good luck!

6. Budlight

Budlight New Friend

Jan 1, 2008
    Gulf Breeze,Florida
    Great advice from everyone! I sure got a lesson..... This is the beauty of a good community forum and everyone works and shares information so we can all play better and have most of all, more fun learning! Thanks to everyone's comments, have a good day! Budlight

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maynard did not get the hernias because his abs were weak - his playing just required more than a human body was designed to take. I am sure that he played enough to keep the important parts of his body in shape. He sure never let me down at ANY of the concerts that I attended!

8. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

In HS I never did sit-ups but I did a ton of swimming and free-diving on my own, since that's what we did for fun. So, we're in the beginning of Band, and Mr Peyton wants to see if we know how to blow a note. I'm the smallest so I'm kind of getting laughed at, so when it came my time to blow a note, I blew for so long, I mean it was something like 3X longer than anyone else could, that no one ever laughed at me for being small again.

PS - you can have great "abs" just from swimming lol.

9. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Swimming takes alot of ab work, so does running. When you run, you are engaging your core. Your core is what it takes to push alot of air out. Your abs are your core. sit ups really engage your abs, therefore your core is in good shape.

Doing situps doesn't only alow you to contract your muscles in. They strengthen them, and you control them.
    TataKa, if all you do is pull ups, does that mean your upper arms arn't designed to do any push ups at all? definatly not.

10. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Well, I am still in high school. I just got a car and a job, so that will limit my playing time. Most of my playing is geared toward getting ready for college because we have a relatively small band program. I practice Arban's book, but I don't have Gordon's studies. Could you possibly tell me the best place to buy it? Anyway, I have noticed that I sometimes try to practice high and loud way too much. I lose my ability to play soft after marching season, and I have to get it back. I'm a junior, and I can usually get up to the E above the staff. That is on a good day. In summer, it's a different story. I have hit a double G before, but only once. Well, that's about it for me. Thanks again Rowuk!

Also, I spend a lot of time on jazz. It is my favorite. :)