Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Jan 3, 2008.

1. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Maybe it's just me...but if anything "hurts" after you play, you might be doing it wrong. Sure- I get tired, but are you talking about physical pain? :-o

2. Master Trumpetissimo

Master Trumpetissimo New Friend

Jan 10, 2008
    Oh, no, I didn't mean hurts like that. I mean the burning sensation from lactic acid accumulation. I guess that wasn't clear. My bad.:D

3. Ray Alexander

Ray Alexander New Friend

Jun 12, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    As a former student of Carmine Caruso, I recommend his method. Just be sure to find somebody that is familiar with it. He was very specific about how they should be approached and played. There is no "only " way to get endurance. It comes with focused, applied practice. I've been playing lead for a long time and they always helped me. I also have a book out that targets endurance and flexibility. RayAlexander.com. On another note, why is everybody arguing about this? Endurance comes over a period of time. not overnight.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This thread is showing a remarkable amount of endurance. Basically everything has been said, but not by everybody yet!

The method used to make this thread so long is exactly what is needed with the trumpet when building endurance: endless repetition!

5. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    wow this thread never stops...

6. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Do the long tones really work though? I don't mean to extend it even more, but I think they could be the answer.

7. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    long tones work. So does long tones......oh and long tones

8. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    How long of a tone? Are we taking your average long tone, or a really long tone? How many long tones are too many long tones? Do I actually have to play a long tone or is longing for a long tone long enough? If I fail to establish a long tone over a long period wil I get that dreaded Valvsalivia Manuever....oh wait (not too long) that's a different even longer thread....

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For Vulgani, a proper long tone is long enough to take the player (and any lucky listeners) through boredom and into wonderment.

10. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    A good long tone should last as long as it takes to read this thread. I say start your long tone and see how far you can read. I got half way down the first page then finished the first page on my 2nd breath!