Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Phil-Canny, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Phil-Canny

Phil-Canny New Friend

Jun 6, 2010
    hi, guys. recently, i find that i get very tired after playing for only around 10 or 15 minutes. i then have a lot of difficulty playing from high C to E specifically, but not higher notes. could you suggest any tips i could use to help improve my endurance again please?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Long tones, lip slurs, yoga, practicing more, improved breathing, improved body use, learning more about the music that you play so you play with it instead of conquering it, improved daily routine based on what you can't do. If there is a hole in your range, slurs and long tones will probably help most AFTER your breathing is in order.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Using too much pressure or volume ,or both will cause endurance problems, practicing softly with plenty of rest will help endurance.

4. Phil-Canny

Phil-Canny New Friend

Jun 6, 2010
    thanks, guys. i think i need to establish a better routine and spend more time on lips slurs so i'll get practising and hopefully will see some results! :) thanks for your help.

5. Phil-Canny

Phil-Canny New Friend

Jun 6, 2010
    incidentally, as Christmas is coming up, i was thinking of getting a new technical studies book. do you think those sort of exercises would help with my range and endurance. If so, what book would you recommend?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No. Technical studies books do not help range and endurance, they help technique and if not used properly can HURT range and endurance. Range and endurance are primarily influenced by superior breathing. Then we need long tones and slurs to get the various parameters to work in sync and THAT gives us range and endurance in the practice room. We then need tunes to learn to play WITH the music instead of conquering the notes. That is how we develop playing habits with musical content.

At the end comes technical studies to force our body to learn unnatural movements of various muscles. If the rest of our playing is not stable (including rhythm), then they only succeed in twisting what little that we have into very bad habits.

Clarke, Schlossberg, Arban cover most of the technical things that we need. It isn't the book though, it is the intelligent practice and that can be with the Arban book alone!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Phil -C,
    I would go with Rowuks advice. about 2 months ago, I had same problem but with 2nd ledger A and B above that, but could hit the A below and the A above, but the middle notes (all of a sudden - sucked for a few weeks).

guess I wasn't working in that range with long tones and such -- my goodness up until that point it was so easy -- and again many weeks later -- it is easier than ever to hit 2nd ledger A.

long tones, breath support, oh and those lip slurs --- who would have ever thought that?? --- you have to keep doing that stuff -- don't let your guard down.
    have fun.

8. Lupis

Lupis New Friend

Jan 30, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I have the same problems practicing for solo and ensemble. I'm playing Adante et Allegro and Rondeu for an ensemble. In Rondeu there is lots of high C's and can barely make it through the song. I usually rest a little and do some lip slurs then move on to Adante et Allegro. By the end of that song I can barely hit a g above the staff. Should I spend more time resting and or playing long tones? Solo and ensemble is at the end of January and I want to be able to play both fluently and easily. Please give me some advice and/or exercises I can play to help with range and endurance. Thank you in advance.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Can you run a mile without stopping or do 100 push-ups?? I can't -- but if I wanted to -I would start by walking that mile, then walking 2 miles, then jogging -- and eventually I could run the mile.

I'm thinking it is the same for trumpet -- it takes time, and practice to build up face muscles, technique, breath support, finger coordination.
    Everyone here on TM probably wishes that you could pick up the trumpet and play flawlessly without the hours of practice each day.

There are NO MIRACLES that instantly give you endurance, range, and musicality -- it all takes time and persistence. sorry to break the bad news to you (or the good news -- that with years of practice and playing, you can pretty much be better than you ever thought you could be)

10. AndyLott

AndyLott New Friend

Dec 31, 2010
    Think less about playing the trumpet and more about making music.

I find when I start thinking about endurance and all the high notes I have to play, it gets exponentially more difficult. Literally sing the music through your horn!

Also, taking the horn off your face as often as possible, it will give your chops a chance to breathe.

Hope this helps!

Andy