Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Phil-Canny, Dec 11, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Walking helps with endurance. Since there's a treadmill in my house, I do 20 minutes of fast walking every day to build up some reserves of fitness. Treating trumpet playing like a sport helps with endurance.

Turtle

2. mst20

mst20 New Friend

Jan 6, 2011
    Hey guys,

I'm new to TM (just joined a few days ago). Anyway, as part of my practice routine I play various very-low to medium range exercises from the 1st 3 studies from Clarke Technical Studies at the softest volume I could muster.

When I do this, my chin starts to shake after a repeating an exercise a few times, and it is hard to continue playing for a few more seconds.

What is happening here? Is this a good thing? Is my chin building muscle? Will my endurance improve as a result?

Also, I think it is worth it to mention that today I started to practice two hours a day, from my normal routine practice session of 1 hour a day.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think - Yes. You probably should try increasing your practice time a bit more gradually. Like add 15 or 20 minutes for a week or two -- then add more time-- to give your body time to adjust.
    Also try to rest every other day. Your face muscles are like the other muscles in your body -- they need recovery time (1 - 4 days) depending on your age, how hard you work them, body condition etc.
    I hope that helps. take a day or two off from these exercises (maybe a day or two doing your normal practice and see if that helps)

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sounds to me like your face does not like what you are doing and is fighting back. Muscles shake when they are exposed to tension too long. If that is how you are playing, you will only succeed in reducing your endurance and playing qualities. Technical studies should NEVER be more than 1/3rd of your total daily routine. Another 1/3rd is slurs and long tones and the most important 1/3rd is MUSIC/Tunes. I teach that the long tones and slurs come first then music and then with the rest technical studies.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    > First, make sure you're not shoving the mouthpiece down your piehole.
    >Lip slurs using the 7 valve combinations. They are:
    --
    When you do these, pick a valve combination and go as low and as high as you can in 8th or quarter notes. Be sure to play them "softly" and keep a good clean sound. A good clean sound? Fat, warm, not loud or blatty or brassy. If your sound gets blatty or brassy you're probably playing too loud.
    Make sure you don't smear the slurs. Make them light and pretty.
    Work on all 7 combinations everyday for a minute (honest minute) on each one. If you do this, by the time Easter gets here, you'll be a lot stronger and this exercise will become an integral part of your development.
    Oh, and this is a butt kicker of an exercise. It'll be easy to use mouthpiece pressure when you get tired. If you do find yourself eating the mouthpiece, STOP PLAYING, blow out the lips like a horse, take a drink of water, reset the lips on the mouthpiece and get back to playing.
    Hope to hear good news when Easter gets here.

6. mst20

mst20 New Friend

Jan 6, 2011
    Thanks, Rowuk, but I find it interesting you put technical studies after music. Shouldn't we learn to play well the instrument before playing music?

Also, my biggest concern whenever I do play music is that all the things I practiced for--soft tones, minimal pressure, lip position, breathing, tongue position, etc, would be lost in while I'm playing the tunes.

Would all the things that I practiced for naturally integrate into the music I play as time goes on, or would I need to actually consciously make sure that I'm playing the tunes the way I practice my studies?

7. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    So what would count as "good endurance", for an amateur? A 1 hour practice session with no more than X minutes of rest? Being able to play 2 hours with only minimal rests? 15 minutes with no rest? Etc.

8. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
  9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    -------
    Great question.
    I guess it just depends. When I was in high school, I'd have an hour concert band (marching band), hour stage band and usually practice an hour at home.
    Some individuals in organizations like DCI do even more time per day than that.
    People in programs like The Wind Program at UNT or any major music program, play alot everyday .
    With that said, "YOU" need to determine what "YOUR" limits are.
    Who knows, once you have a rough idea of your endurance, you may find it's quite good and only needs maintainence. If not, you'll at least know where you are starting from.
    Hope this helps

10. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I've been working Rusty's 19/30's exercises for two days. Once I got the concept, my endurance immediately increased. I have always had trouble with constant playing. When you play page after page with little or no rest. Yesterday was my first day working the new ideas, and after I grasped the concept, I was immediately able to play the First Characteristic Study and then the Carnival of Venice with all 5 variations with no rest other than what is written into them. I just now finished playing 3 pages out of Selected Duets Vol 2 without stopping, and am not fatigued at all. For me, this is a major deal.

I'm looking forward to my next R & B gig. It would be cool to be able to play 4 hours of that stuff without getting wasted. (chopwise, that is)