Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CalebWayne, Jan 21, 2011.

1. CalebWayne

CalebWayne Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2010
    I've been playing for around 6 years now, I'm a senior in high school. I'm playing Petite Piece Concertante and one other selection for a college audition. I can get through the "lyrical" opening, but then I feel like I'm ready to "check out" as far as my chops go. That's not a good thing, considering I still have the "march" section and another selection to go after that. In case you're curious, I'm playing on a Jupiter XO Tribune (about 4 years old) with a Schilke 13C4 mouthpiece and I practice for at least an hour and a half a day. Any suggestions on what may be the culprit of my endurance problems?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    To get to the point, you aren't working on your endurance during you practice time. Long tones must be an integral part of your routine if you want endurance. And as the word implies, it takes endurance/patience to develop endurance. Equipment is secondary if it's what you have been using. Work on long tones. If you want a humbling experience, play long tones below the staff and see how long you can control them. Practice the Arbans section on phrasing. It's only 150 cute little compositions that will test you to the nth degree. Enjoy!:-)

3. John Dover

John Dover New Friend

Jan 13, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Glad you are looking to others for some input on improving. I would say the best thing you could do when searching out advice in forums is to make sure that you give plenty information to your audience. Please provide the following so that we can best provide our information.

1. Are you taking private lessons?
    2. Have you spoken to your private teacher about this? If so what did they advise? (that way we here can either agree or expand upon their ideas to help you out.)
    3. What materials are you covering in your hour and a half of practice?
    With these first few questions answered we can better work to give you comprehensive advice.

Thanks and good luck!
    John Dover
    www.johndmusic.com

4. CalebWayne

CalebWayne Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2010
    Update: I just got done explaining the issue to my band director (who is a VERY good trumpet player- he plays professionally on the side) and he had me do some playing while he watched. We both came to the conclusion that too much mouthpiece pressure was the problem. He then had me play some long tone exercises while focusing on using enough pressure to get the job done, and no more. I went back to the practice room, played through the entire Petite Piece Concertante, and didn't break a sweat. I think we have found the solution.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    awesome -- that's the way, ask for help, find the answer, and put that into practice --- keep building positive muscle memory, less pressure --- and have fun, pass knowledge on to others to help their trumpet journey more enjoyable.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Awesome! Glad you worked it out.