Endurance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adena422, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Adena422

Adena422 New Friend

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    Does anone have any suggestions on how to build up my endurance when playing my trumpet? I would like to be able to play longer. Thanks!:huh:

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah! -- play... I know that is simplistic -- but that's the deal. I personally found long soft tones help with endurance. I mean play like a G in the staff, as long as you can on a breath - then do it again and again - for about 20 minutes - then rest ((of course it will take a month or two to get to 20 minutes) --then take other notes -- and of course play scales, and music, and play, then rest, then play.
    sorry -- there are no shortcuts -- your embouchure and the whole mechanics of playing are such that it takes time to build endurance.
    try looking up Cat Anderson Method on TM - I remember there are lots of posts -- he was the long, soft note guy -- who could really play.
    hope that helps

Adena422 likes this.
  3. Adena422

Adena422 New Friend

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    thanks

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes sadly, it is practice that builds endurance.
    Long tones and lip slurs help. Practice every day, and rest as long as you play.

If you give us a little more info about your present status, eg. how long have you been playing, do you have a teacher, and how long is long at the moment.

Some players will practice 2 to 3 hours per day. So how long do you practice now.
    Cat Anderson will certainly help with long tones, but you will be bored to death. So mix it up with songs, articulation (tonguing) - maybe Arbans exercises as well.

Tell us more, we will be more accurate to help.

5. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  6. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Adena422,
    I just saw your other thread. So you have a range of about a High C (respectable), and you're having problems at the moment with intonation etc.

It may be just your muscles getting used to playing - a range of High C means you are not new to trumpet. So just try to get a regular daily routine and then practice it, and concnetrate on a specific technical aspect as you practice. It will get netter the more you practice. Do you have lessons? - a teacher can correct things quickly when they are looking at what you are doing.
    Keep swingin'

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Kingtrumpet does it again, the advice does not get any better than this. Endurance is all about muscle being able to develop to a point where it can take on more force.

For a weight lifter to lift their own weight, they do not start off with 250 lbs. They warm up with 25 lbs, move quickly to 50 lbs, than start advancing slowly from 100 lbs to 250 lbs. Then at 250 lbs, the weight building continues but at a slow gradual rate.

Lips are muscle and respond the same way to building endurance. So KT says it all so simple, play, but do this with a gradual plan of increasing the work out OVER TIME.

How much time? Let accuracy be your guide. Once you feel your loosing control at hitting notes is happening, it's time to put down the horn for the day.

So with that said, get to work.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1 to all the above. G's point about increase is a good one. You can't go from 30 minutes to 2 hours without hurting yourself. Been there, done that! Ouch!
    Add a little time, a little at a time.;-)

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Like some of the others have already said,practice softly, rest as long as you play (approx. 5 min.s on, 5 min.s off) and when playing in either rehearsal or performance watch your volume. Don't play above 80% of your top volume, think of fullness and projection not loudness. I've seen many players give out early on gigs when excessive volume was used. Excessive volume is usually accompanied with excessive pressure,which will also lessen endurance. Let your air do the work,not your arms.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    1.) YES KINGTRUMPET KNOWS STUFF
    2.) gmonady made a simple typo -- so don't hold that against him
    should read ""Let accuracy be your guide. Once you feel your control at hitting notes (IS NOT) happening, it's time to put down the horn for the day"""
    3.) please forgive gmonady quickly for the typo -- he is in a very stressful job, -- and is a lifelong "test study" for some psychiatrist --- so typos are to be expected.ROFL
    4.) just a correction gmonady -- let's not hi-jack this thread!!!!