Endurance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adena422, Jun 10, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    4.) just a correction gmonady -- let's not hi-jack this thread!!!!

LOTSA LUCK WITH THAT ONE!!!ROFLROFLROFLROFL

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    c'mon tobylou8 -- don't encourage that guy!!!!!!!ROFL

3. Adena422

Adena422 New Friend

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    I have been playing for about 5 years and 9 months now. I do not have a private teacher, but plan on starting lessons at the very beginning of July. Right now, I practice usually between half an hour and an hour and a half every day. I use Arbans every day. I want to build up my endurance for many reasons, but I really need it for something specific right now. I have to learn Concerto for Two Trumpets by Vivaldi- and I am doing it on a B flat trumpet. The song is mostly higher notes, and at one point goes to a D above the staff. I need to be able to play through it all the way (once I learn it completely).

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    again endurance takes time -- I would add another 20 minutes on my practices -- if you have the time. put the face to the horn a little longer without resting (but be sure to rest after that) -- again softly at first.
    another tip that is helpful --(in my opinion) take the high parts down an octave - to get the notes and rhythm, and dynamics correct, and then "use air" instead of just "chops" to take them up the octave. And start by playing softly when taking it up.
    --the whole chops/air issue (in my opinion) is that an octave up should be and have a "similiar feel" and similiar embouchure setup as the octave lower -- when using more air -- some say "faster" air, some say "full breath" -- all that I know is to use and compress your lower body to help with this "more/ faster/ air" thing.
    hope that helps.:thumbsup:

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Here is a suggestion that takes the rather boring - but very useful - long tones to a different level that is still used by the top trumpet players today in their daily practice and their teachings.
    Go here Balquhidder Music and purchase the just printed Vincent Cichowicz Long Tone Studies as compiled by Mark Dulin and Vince's son Michael.
    These elementary looking studies not only improve the air flow, they improve range, ease of connecting notes, and also improve endurance. Proper air flow is the absolute key to trumpet performance.
    I was a pupil of an early Chicowicz student and my mentor today not only played in the section with Chicowicz he, too, was a Chicowicz student.
    In this new publication are the air flow studies and writings of the great players/pedagogues
    of today all of whom studied with Mr. Chicowicz.
    To those of you who are unfamiliar with Mr. Chicowicz, he began his career in the Chicago Symphony in 1954 and was second trumpet from 62 to 75. Quite frankly, he was a great player and without question was one of the greatest teachers ever.
    There is more useful information in this 54 page publication than you will get from this or any other trumpet website.
    Rich T.

6. Adena422

Adena422 New Friend

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    thanks everyone :D

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Appreciate it and already made the edited correction before I read your post. You're right on top of it, boy, Ay say, Ay say, Ay say, right on top of it, boy.

Bah dee, Bah dee, Bah dee, Bah dee, that's all folks.

Or if you live down under:
    haB eed, haB eed, haB eed, haB eed, g' day blokes.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Too late!

9. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Like others have said playing softly really helps, in my quest to gain endurance and eventually range i found that using 'whisper tones' has been the best discovery i ever made! For example may sure your full with air (not tense), and air attack a 2nd line G starting mf. Then close your eyes and take the volume down lower and lower focussing on keeping a steady sound (no wavering). I've gotten to the point now that i can actually feel my lips vibrating with the very fine air stream. By trying to hold the note hear will really strengthen the muscles around your mouth, but be warned if done too much it can really ache!! :play:

sorry for the long post!

NYCO

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my apologies gmonady - I am a very proficient typist, and quickly post responses without verifying if the poster has edited his post. :thumbsup:

ps. sorry those blokes from down under can't even laugh properly ROFL, ROFL