Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 5, 2011.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    My mouthpiece (Yamaha 16C2) gives me great tone and everything, and I love it, but it makes me tired very, very quickly. Is there any solutions to this?
    Such as ways to improve endurance?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Practice. ;-) though personally, i find that mouthpieces with wider brims help my endurance significantly. I use a Bach 1-1/2C. It helps that i like the sound of deeper cups and wider bores... guess i'll always be a trombone player at heart.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Practice more.

Lots of playing and practice will help with endurance.

4. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I practice a lot already. About 2 hours a day. But I have to split it up because i get tired quickly.

5. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    are you doing lots of excersizes geared towards increasing endurance? i.e. long tones, slurs, etc? how you practice is almost as important as practicing is

6. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Thank you! I will do more of those from now on.

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    +1 on that advice.

8. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    i try to approach endurance like sports training.
    - i cross train with long tones, technical studies, and solo/melodic passages.

- i also like to ramp up to longer play with more practice sessions. so, if you're practicing twice a day, add a third shorter session; build that middle session a little and then expand the time into the main practice sessions. (added after posted: i recognize that this may be challenging while in school ... or working, but take a practice mute and grab a couple minutes during study hall (do they still have those ;- ) or at lunch ... or maybe you can go to the music room during a study hall to practice)

- finally, i find that a short and simple warm-up in the morning goes a long way. even if i can grab 10-15 min to do mouthpiece buzzing and simple long tones from mid staff C and below. My endurance is better, my sound is more open, and my chops are far more responsive later in the day.

as, i'm sure it'll be pointed out, this process works great for me ... yymv. ;- )

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    There are some very educated players here at TM, one being the individual who wrote this sticky, read it.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f134/jens-lindemann-mouthpieces-48008.html

Practice, scratch that, careful, thoughtful and aware practice will improve your endurance but also it may be that that mouthpiece is just too big for you. I can't say for sure because I am not there BUT it a Yamaha 16C2 is, depending on the year, about a 1.5C or 1.25C in Bach terms. It just may be that you cannot be effective and efficient on such a large piece. If you read my signature I myself play on some big pieces but I can play for a few hours at a time no problem, however and 3 year All-State band friend of mine cannot play effectively with any kind of endurance on anything bigger than a 7C. Too many teachers have a large fear of players going to too small of a mouthpiece but I find your situation to be much more common. Bigger is not always better.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Two hours is not a lot--don't get me wrong--two hours is laudable, but not a lot. A smaller mouthpiece might do you good, as might more face time. No way to tell over the internet, and we don't know how long you've been playing your mouthpiece. Even if you're experiencing the normal transition from the marching field to concert band, (suddenly playing with finesse can over-work some under-worked muscles), my suggestion would be for a real teacher in real time.