Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    What's constitutes "good endurance"? I'm sure this has various answers depending on context but let's say for your basic community band level playing.

2. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Good of you to provide a context, because in this case, context is everything. For you endurance might be getting through your community band rehearsals and concerts without being totally fagged. That is, you can still do more, in tune, hitting all the notes, dynamics, etc. For me, of late, it was to finish each night of a Las Vegas review-type show (1:15) and then a 90 min set of dance music--mostly Miller stuff with occasional Basie, etc. Not only that, but to also be ready to get it done the next night and for the successive nights of the show. Essentially, a week. I got through that better than I ever have on my comeback (now 6 yrs?) only because I gave it a full 6-months of endurance practicing daily. Nothing else works. For a true pro it might be more. Think context-dependent on this one.

mgcoleman likes this.
  3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The bottom line is that practice develops endurance. That said, at least one rehearsal (and more is preferred) of what you are about to play at a gig makes the actual performance much better. This latter is to include all instrumentalists and vocalists.

4. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Good endurance would be the ability to play thirty minutes longer than required.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Lasting with accuracy and keeping your tone for the duration of time and level of challenge that is necessary for your current level of performance.

This will be different for different people. For me, I need to achieve endurance to last 4 hours in the range above staff, with demand for high level or articulation and intervals.

6. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    The ability to do what is asked of you (whatever that is) with the right tone, right dynamics, right articulation, right pitch and (drawing a parallel to one of the points made by graysono) not hurting yourself - need to be able to do it all again when needed (next rehearsal, show, etc.).

7. Friggin' Nomad

Friggin' Nomad New Friend

May 1, 2011
    OK, so I'm reading this thread, and I understand that everyone has their own level of endurance they need to make it through the gig that they're asked to do. But I guess what I don't understand is how you get to the level where, like gmonady, you can:
    See, as a high school student, I can't really imagine being able to play for four hours straight; And I'm guessing that's what you do? Do you get a break here and there?

So I guess what I'm wondering is, let's say you're the 1st chair in an orchestra somewhere, and you're going to play Strauss's An Alpine Symphony. How do you even practice to prepare for that? Or like how to you get good enough endurance to even attempt to play through that? I guess what I'm saying is that people don't just in their free time play through the whole symphony to get ready for it; So what do they play?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  8. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I guess another thing that makes it tough is even within a certain context, it'll depend on the music. Like if there are plenty of rests you can play longer. I'm trying to get a feel for where I should be at to be ready to tryout for a community band. I think from what I gather here, I should arrange a bunch of etudes and tunes. And then pretend I'm in a concert. See how many I can make it through and still give good tone, etc. as suggested. If I can't make, say, 1 and a half hours, I'm probably not ready for a concert (assuming last chair :) )

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Maybe that's why you can't last four hours. People DO play their required music before playing it to prepare themselves, if that means Strauss's An Alpine Symphony, then that's what they play. I played a concert with Mahler 5 and some other chop busters in there, and I played through them multiple times in one sitting in order to have the endurance. There are also endurance workouts you can do.

Btw, try not to compare yourself to gmonady, he is not a mere mortal.

10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Gmonady, I’m in the same boat as you. All my gigs are four hours min. and most of the time I’m above the staff. So my normal maintenance practice is always geared for endurance, flexibility and range, along with soloing. Gotta love it !!!