Enhancing my fast thoght processes and fingering

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldlou, Jan 6, 2009.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    At my advanced age the speed of my sight to brain to fingers and breath and tongueing has slowed down a wee bit. Since the two community concert bands that I play in have been on a holiday season break since Dec. 19, I have focused upon transposition and 'false fingerings' of those transpositions. WOW, what a workout that has turned out to be. At first, my boss,( wife ), complained about "goofy sounding notes". The good part about this is that my fingering is faster in all modes, as written, various transpositions, and false fingerings. My opinion is that my lethargic ancient and little used brain has 'started' to catch up to the speed and efficiency of where it was functioning many years ago.

I don't know if I should advise that any others use this method to get 'back up to speed', but, in my very exclusive opinion, it has worked for me.

OLDLOU>>

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    As long as you are actively sucking up knowledge, your brain will fight to stay fresh. Once you become complacent or lazy, the beginning of the end is there!

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Well, Robin, I ain't about to throw in the towel quite yet. I might be old, fat, and ugly, with zero appeal to pretty girls and women, but, I do still find a measure of pleasure from my music, if from naught else.

OLDLOU>>

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    What do you call old? I'm 61! Wow time flies! I'm smarter now then ever!:thumbsup:

5. pbk917

pbk917 New Friend

Oct 11, 2007
    York, PA
    oldlou,

Great to hear that you keep on ticking, I find that inspiring. I studied with a former Juliard professor who told me that if I had a hard time with fingering, I should try fingering the passage with my left hand. I have found that this method helps, the key is to finger with your left hand making sure to play the passage as written (yes it can be slowed down but make sure you maintain the proper syncopation) than switch back to right hand fingering.

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Well, child, I am almost 73. I am just as smart as I ever was,( I think ), but, I have just slowed down a wee bit.

OLDLOU>>

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Oldlou,
    Here's something that works for me. Use the other hand to finger for a while and then switch back. I'll betcha your speed will go up a bit.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I have done that in the past. It also works.

OLDLOU>>

9. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    A daily dose of clark studies #1 works wonders,and the ones that give you trouble left handed.Lou I am 56 years young and hope to follow in your footsteps in the ambition and drive catagory.I always love and admire players like Clark Terry,Doc Cheetham,and art Farmer.Guys that played well into there Silver years.The brain is just another part of the body that if you don"t use,it you loose it.

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

What other part, or parts do you refer to?

OLDLOU>>