Enhancing Trumpet Playing with Dental Architecture

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by talcito, Apr 1, 2005.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    As I was reading thru the most recent issue of ITG Journal I saw an ad by dentist John J. Kelly. The ad states "To play the highest notes, with the fullest sound, the design of your mouth has to be mechanically correct. Dr. John Kelly can redesign your mouth to fit naturally with your trumpet and the rest of your face. Using tecniques known to less than 1% of dentists, Dr. can improve your embouchure and range "

When reading this at first the "hairs on my arms stood straight".

After recovering from the ad, I went on to visit his web site at www.johnjkellydds.com

I found it quite interesting all the tests he has available to test jaw positions, muscles etc.

I have known people who have done dental work to enhance their teeth cosmetically(Filling in a gap similar to Jon Faddis's) and it was detrimental to their trumpet playing. I have never known of anyone who has done dental work to improve their playing.

Any TM members have any interesting stories or experiences related to this topic?

2. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I used to be in search of a "commercial" tone and never quite attaining it. Last summer I had a partial plate (lower left side) and now my sound is a wonderful warm tone. I didn't get any more range but my tone changed and I am loving it. old geezer Dave :cool:

3. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    I had braces in my late 20's a few years after I had started up again. I got them off 2 years later (my teeth now flat instead of wedge-shaped) and my tone improved qutie a bit, but it also softened up a bit (it had a warmer quality to it but lost some of its punch, or flair), and I lost some of my range.

Thanks to some sound advice recently, both are starting to come back (potentially better than ever), and over the last few weeks there have been moments (however fleeting) of brilliance. LIke in Jazz band this week when a fellow trumpeter turned his head after I popped the ending of a tune up an octave, "Niiiiiiice," he said.

But let me pull my arm from the back of my shoulder for a moment here to just say that I think what changed in my teeth was secondary to what needed to change in my approach. I've no doubt that a change to the teeth WILL make a difference, but I think the biggest difference is in your approach to the horn and in your technique.

As such, I personally cannot bring myself to condone any sort of dental or orthodontic work strictly for the purpose of enhancing your playing.

4. Hiwiller

Hiwiller New Friend

Dec 29, 2004
    near Cleveland, OH, USA
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW! Totally agree with
    You know, my bite/gums/neuromuscularalignment... might not be perfect and I don't play professionally, but I would NOT consider messing with any sort of change like this. I'd be even more reticent to do something like this were I putting food on the table with my horn.

I look at this even more skeptically than I do eye correction surgery. I wear glasses but I am corrected to 20/10 with my lenses and would not want to risk making things worse. I can't imagine having an oral surgeon move things around and have to start from scratch with no guarantees that I would play even as well as I can now.

You know, these kinds of things always seem to be related to the neverending quest for the ultimate high range. What an obsession it has become. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that steroids can enhance the musculature in the embouchure thereby giving the effortless dubba C.
    :roll:

5. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Personally, I have always thought that practice was the key to enhancing one's trumpet playing. Having dental surgury always means you have to take some time off from practicing. Seems daft to me. I'd rather save the money and use the time inthe practice room.
    FWIW, I have teeth like a row of gravestones and have no intention of getting them fixed at my age.

6. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    ummm my mommy is a dental hiygienest and i asked her abt it, showed her the article and stuff and both she and her boss <the dentist> agree that the risks of screwing up your mouth in the long run are too great to bother

7. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    Many years ago, I had a buddy who studied with the same teacher as Paul Hubinon (Pittsburgh area). This particular teacher, who taught at Duquesne University (PA), was a sincere advocate of adjusting your teeth to a more V shaped angle to develop one's optimum playing position. Paul had it done and according to what I've been told, he become one of the best west coast studio players prior to his untimely death sometime during the 1970s. The dentist he worked with was located in New Castle, PA (I think - it's been almost 30 years).

My buddy was actually prepared to have perfect good teeth extracted in order to obtain this optimum V shape.

Mike Lockman (sp?), a Pittsburgh pro trumpeter, knows both the teacher and knew Paul Hubinon. If he sees this post, maybe he will "help my memory." :oops:

---<Rick

8. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I would have never had the partial done to help my playing ( it was a crown gone bad that caused this). I just lucked into the tone change thing. I have been advised to get Lasik surgery to correct my vision but glasses do just fine. I have a friend who swears by Lasik - in fact she has had it 3 times to correct her vision as it changes as she ages. I agree with most -nothing can bypass good ol practice and hard work. Manny didn't take a secret pill or have special surgery to get where he is today. old geezer Dave :cool:

9. fisherman

fisherman New Friend

Jan 9, 2004
    The instructors at Duquesne University who were involved with this procedure were Ed Shiner, Professor of Trumpet, Matty Shiner, Professor of Trombone, and Pat Oliver,also a Professor of Trumpet. They all produced a number of excellent players who went on to studio work in LA and top call people in Las Vegas and elsewhere.

I believe this same theory was popular at Mich. State or the University of Mich. during the late fifties and early sixties throughout the brass department.

10. mlockman

mlockman New Friend

Feb 21, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Gentlemen,

Yes I do have have experience from Duquesne University, the Shiner Brothers, Paul H. and the theory of teeth and brass playing. Let me get together some facts. Right now I need to goe to a rehearsal. Tomorrow I will post.
    You guy's are the greatist.