Enjoying

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, May 28, 2010.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi

I have played trumpet for 2-3 months now total in my entire life. I played guitar all my life and never played a blowing instrument before. I have achieved playing from the low B (low A on and off) up to the F (top of staff). G above the staff I managed to hit but its kinda yay/nay. Im pretty happy with that achievement in 3 months. I must say I have enjoyed trumpet playing since day one and every day It gets better and better as I can do more and play more difficult things. It is the best instrument on the planet and I wish I had not played guitar for 15 years but the trumpet... anyways now i gotta redeem the time.

Perfect instrument!

George

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    George,
    without your guitar background, the trumpet would not be what it is to you now! Our musicianship is the sum of our life experiences. Be greatful that you have been with music for so long. Practice diligently and you will catch up with your guitar playing abilities. Just remember, crankin' up the guitar amp means a BIGGER breath with the trumpet.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ....and as you crank up that guitar amp, we trumpeteers get GRUMPY :x.

Welcome to the wonderful world of trumpet - one of our tasks is to blow the licorice off the clarinets and the lacquer off the viola. ;-)

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Very welcome to TM, George!

Like Robin says:

This is right on the spot! And when you think of it:
    No matter how much you love the trumpet, it´s
    still a good thing that threre are other kinds of
    instruments as well! This kind of alters the musical
    experiences you get when going to concerts or play
    with others . . .

Besides playing the trumpet I also play the accoustic
    guitar (classical music), the electrtic guitar (tapping,
    sweep etc.) and I have made some money from classical
    singing (I´m a tenor with a lousy high C), so maybe I´m
    a bit biased in my opinion . . .

Anyway, being able to play at least one chord instrument
    is a great asset, I think. Very useful when dealing with
    both jazz tunes and other things on the trumpet, so
    personally I would never give this asset up.

Love to hear more from you as you progress!!:-)

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    George, I can totally relate, only with me, trumpet is my first instrument and drums are/were my hobby instrument. I actually gig on drums, so it's less of a hobby and more of a real thing now. I get joy out of playing drums that I never got out of playing trumpet, most of which probably has to do with the fact that I never really chop out on the drums.

So enjoy it and keep working. Soon enough you'll be doing low pressure gigs with churches and other ensembles. That's what it's all about after all.

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Welcome to TM, enjoy your stay. Yes you do "have a leg up" due to your past experiences. Best of luck.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hey George,

I spent over 30 years playing guitar, keyboards, and what have you. Much of what I learned in that time is vitally important to my making music on the trumpet now. Much of our musical knowledge is fairly generic and not instrument related, so you haven't wasted your time, trust me.

Anyhow, forget regrets, go forward, and enjoy!

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I love hearing abot converts from other areas of music. I reafirms what all trumpet players know through and through that trumpets rule and woodwinds drool. Welcome to the funnest hobby/lifestyle/adiction/all-encompasing rollercoaster ride there is. Hang on and best wishes.

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    At this late date in my life,age 74, I envy all who have other musical instrument experience and training. I was away from the trumpet for over 46 years and am currently in my sixth year of a comeback. I am firmly convinced that had I been trained on primarily piano, and perhaps on other stringed instruments that my comeback would have been much easier for me. You have a vast advantage. I envy you.

OLDLOU>>