Epiphany Tonguing Moment!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Friggin' Nomad, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Friggin' Nomad

Friggin' Nomad New Friend

May 1, 2011
    OK, so I was sitting there doing some K-tongue modified, and all of a sudden I realized that my tongue moves a heck of a lot faster if I just let the air do the movement. So here's how it worked, instead of trying to use tongue muscle to move my tongue, I very gently put it "into" the air stream and it just kind of "fluttered" in the breeze. And by moving it closer or farther I could change the speed (not very well it was extremely uncontrolled) at which I was tonguing. So is this how it's supposed to work, you just let the air do all the work? Or am I a complete fool and this is a "don't do that" kind of thing?

2. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I'm not even crazy about k tongue modified. I had a teacher once who wanted me to use it but I never got clean attacks.
    Regarding your question,I don't actually know if that's what you're supposed to do, but I have experienced the phenomenon that you're describing. It's pretty useful in a pinch, but I usually just double tongue.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Sounds like you just learned to flutter tongue. It's a technique that's occasionally called for, but you can't use it as a substitute for double and triple tonguing. As you noticed, there's not enough control with it to actually articulate a succession of notes.

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Ditto that. The flutter chooses it's own tempo and can't be executed at varying rhythms.

The "Dah" syllable for forward tongue movement and "Guh" for backward movement produces the same sound so the "Tah" / "Kah" with less effort.

or "Deh geh deh geh deh geh deh geh deh geh" etc. Just faster.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I too think that when it feels like the tongue is floating on air, that a BIG step forward has happened. Fast multiple tonguing (as well as fast slurs and lip trills) are based on the AIR helping to lower the EFFORT. FN, you are moving exactly as my students do. Now invest more time with your new found improvement. This will secure the development!