Equipment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rickperon, Feb 1, 2007.

1. rickperon

rickperon New Friend

Jan 17, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey all. I'm currently playing a Yamaha XenoRGS. I do a variety of playing within the commercial field. (Jazz, Big Band, Salsa & Shows). I love the sound on this horn except that things get a little tight up around F & G. Also on some of these real tough gigs (especially Salsa) I'm having a hard time making it through the nite. Feeling somewhat beat up in the end. Last nite I tried playing on a friends Yamaha Burgeron model. Initially I liked the horn, especially during warm up. But as the gig went on I felt like I just couldn't make the horn speak, there was no energy to the sound, or at least I was unable to produce that energy. I'm toying with the idea of maybe removing the bracing on the tuning slide to see if that might free up my horn any and hopefully in the process aid a little in endurance. I'm also considering going back to a ConnV1. The reason I switched in the first place was because I had somewhat of a hard time blending. I think at this point I would rather have the response & endurance. Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Rick Peron

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The myth of more endurance on a light horn is due to the fact that the light instruments radiate more sound on the outside of the bell, allowing you to hear what the horn is doing more easily. You then play less loudly and that saves your chops.
    If you are playing into a microphone and not getting through the night, two things come to mind - the monitor mix does not have enough trumpet, causing you to play louder (which costs more energy) or your trumpet/mic combination doesn't work very well with the same results. It is very possible that the Bergeron horn and your mouthpiece had a similar effect.

3. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Ron -

I had a similar experience with the 8335-LA. Above high D, I felt like I was falling into the horn (little or no resistance). This coming from someone who has been playing a large bore for 5 years.

My understanding is that the leadpipe on Wayne's horn is VERY open. The guys at Yamaha (Wayne Tanabe & Dave Latozzo) can apparently "tweak" the horn to make it feel less open. That may be one option for you.

TK

4. rickperon

rickperon New Friend

Jan 17, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks Tony, today I tried the horn again with a shallower and tighter m.p., feels real good. I'll play it on the gig tonight (Salsa) and report back. As far as the mic situation is concerned, that can be a little tricky. Sometimes it's not the actual volume but the quality. If it's bad, and they don't know how to fix it, then I sometimes feel worse off. So I end up telling them just to turn it off. Very frustrating sometimes. Any ideas on what I should ask for in terms of Highs/Mids/Lows in general would be greatly appreciated. I usually am playing into a Sure 57.
    Thanks again guys.
    Rick

5. rickperon

rickperon New Friend

Jan 17, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    FYI, gig went great. Got through the gig and finished strong. Thanks again for sharing. I am for sure going to give this horn some more time, try it out on different types of gigs. I have a big band gig on Friday and a combo gig on Saturday. Rick