ESP tempo?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrizzone, Jun 27, 2014.

1. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Hello! Just asking the tempo of ESP, in the original Miles Davis album. The rhythm section is too much for me. Thanks!

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    230bpm

3. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Thanks!

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Now in the spirit of teaching a guy how to fish, rather than giving him a fish for that day . . .:D

mrizzone - what kept you from getting the tempo yourself? Surely this problem will come up again, so what can we do to help you figure this out yourself in the future when you need it?

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Keep a bookmark to "www.trumpetmaster.com" handy?

--bumblebee

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  6. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    You can use the "tap tempo" function that is on software metronomes, and many hardware ones

And yes, the Miles' mid-60s group was...too good.

7. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Thanks for your interest! I can´t follow the rhythm because the drums play a pattern too complex for me. I can get a rough idea of the tempo; but when I follow the tune reading the score, I end two or three bars before or after the saxo or trumpet solos.

8. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    In this case, go back and listen to the bass. He's playing right on the beat and then when the solos begin, he's playing double time.
    Always try to find what instrument is playing a clear beat that you can hear and ignore the other instruments.

(It doesn't have to be the bass, it's just that it usually is. In Latin music, I usually listen for the cymbal, for example.)

9. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Stupid editing function is, uh, mis-functioning, so I want to add after "when the solos begin, he's playing double time."
    - add: This is actually the tempo and the first measures are half-time, but I just thought it would be easier to describe the process like I did. So, get the tempo of the first few half-time bars and then double that tempo indication.

10. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Thanks! :-)