Establishing a Trumpet Summer School

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Feb 2, 2009.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

I've been hatching an idea here to find a way to share ore effectively what I've learned over the years of hard work and occasional hard knocks. This is an idea in a state of flux and development. Drop by Nick Drozdoff :: Home and check out the first news item on the home page. I would love to establish 8 weeks of this. To be able to help folks like this would be a dream realized. I am open to ideas about topics as well. By the way, this is NOT intended to be exclusively a high note school. I see it it as a week long master class on how to maximize your practice if you are a working man or woman who is deadly serious about trumpet playing day gig notwithstanding!

Even if I only get one class going this summer, that'd be a start.

Thanks for reading.

Nick

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Nick,

As long as I can sleep in your recording studio - sign me up!

GZ

3. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Nick,

I think it's a great idea.

I went from graduate school (trumpet performance, TA) to teaching full time. Luckily, I only teach 4 out of 8 periods out of the day (but it's a fulltime gig!), so I have plenty of time to practice in my office in the band room. It's great...but I definitely needed to adjust some things around so that I could get my full routine(s) in. In grad school I used to practice around 6 hours a day, and have really made my practicing now efficient!

I think your camp is an excellent idea for those who would like to remain professionals, but do work a full-time day gig.

Good luck!
    LE

4. NickD

NickD Forte User

I had a response from Roger Ingram and some others over at TH and mayanrferguson.com. As a result, I'm dreaming up some ideas to find ways to make this more doable for folks who might find it difficult to deal with because of financial hard times. I think the fees I've quoted for the time spent by the teacher (primarily me, but perhaps others could be brought in, if the numbers support the effort). Now I have to see what sort of corporate sponsorship might be available. Time to write some snail mails, I think!

I'll keep you all posted as things evolve.

TTFN

Nick

5. NickD

NickD Forte User

Well, folks, this isn't going to happen. In spite of the positive I comments I got here and privately, there wasn't enough interest to for me to actually establish a "trumpet summer school." Oh well! I am going to work out individual packages with folks as the need arises. I am going to have to teach summer school here at NTHS, BUT, I am done every day at 2:30 PM. With some planning we can still work out lesson packages for the mid afternoon and beyond.

Thanks for at least hearing me out.

Peace.

Nick Drozdoff