Ethics of canceling an Ebay auction early

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Aug 21, 2010.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I have a horn up for auction on Ebay. I've been approached by a TH member who would like me to sell it to him directly and cancel the auction. I'm not sure this is ethical. I'm not sure if there are penalties for it with Ebay.

What do you think?

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I think you can cancel the auction! You are allowed to change your mind!

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Why doesn't he bid the price he is offering you and then if someone pays higher, then you come out on top.

4. mosternaz

mosternaz New Friend

Jun 7, 2010
    I sell on ebay a great deal and have a policy of never ending early. He can put in a bid for the full amount he is willing to pay. I personally think it is unethical and it is certainly against the rules to end the auction and then sell it to him outside of ebay.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Sounds like you should check your user agreement with eBay.

At the end of the day there's probably little they can do to you, but it is a bit shady.

I'd be pissed if I was the high bidder and you just yanked the horn without giving me the opportunity to outbid an unknown e-mail bid...

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There are many approaches to this. The ebay policy about canceling provides for situations where the item cannot be delivered due to loss, damage, or sudden awareness that the item is not what was described. There is no penalty for canceling but as the others have said, it does create a bad taste when you do it for capricious reasons.

The biggest gripe that I have is when someone cancels just before the end and then relists the same item. It is obvious that they canceled just because the bidding was not high enough and they think they may do better the next time around. But, canceling a listing before there are any bids does not create problems except for the snipers who were planning to bid at the last second - but since they did not bid early, they can't really complain.

There are some who state in the listing that they reserve the right to cancel if the items sells locally. That does not really satisfy anyone and in fact some people will just not bid on those items so it can actually hurt the seller.

So, in the end, everyone does what they think is best for them and the rest just have to like it or lump it (do people use this expression anymore?). That's the ebay game and nothing is any more unethical than ebay's own oppressive policy of canceling bids with no warning to the seller for some imagined infraction with no right to question or appeal the decision.

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    This was my policy on Evilbay too when I used to sell on there. Exceptions are if the item became damaged, or "is no longer available for sale" which is one of the check-off buttons when you end it. Now, what can this mean? I think it can mean you've decided to keep the item for yourself, your nextdoor neighbor has offered a lot for it, or something. I think you do lose points on Evilbay if you do this too often! I would do it very seldom.

I once found an Agilent power divider with APC3.5's on it, and I knew it was worth money but not sure how much, so I started it at my usual $9.95, well a guy PM'd me and really wanted it for $300, which sounded great for me, I'd paid $5 for the gadget the thing was in. So, I ended the auction, and re-listed it with a buy-it-now of $300. The buy bought it, sale done with Evilbay getting their percentage. I think this is the way they want to see you do it.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If no bids, canceling is OK.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I've always taken the stance that if there is an error in the description, or someone might be disadvantaged by some element of my offer, then I would cancel.

As far as eBay themselves are concerned, if you have no bids then cancelling is acceptable.

Why don't you change the format to Buy It Now, and let the bloke take it straight away - protect yourself though, in these sorts of circumstances someone is 'occasionally' trying to fleece you.

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    yeah I forgoet to mention, no bids on that one I talked about when I ended it.

But, if the item is damaged lost etc then yeah, you can end all bids and cancel, You just can't abuse that option.